• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indonesian Boot Makers (Onderhoud, Benzein, RenavGoods, Santalum, etc)

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing the Onderhouds today !

BBBD4008-ED40-416D-ABBC-78AACA2E6CC0.jpeg

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@aj2603 I can see why. They seem to be built like a tank, wear both in rugged and smart contexts, and to have a veg-tan leather that ages gracefully.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@aj2603 I can see why. They seem to be built like a tank, wear both in rugged and smart contexts, and to have a veg-tan leather that ages gracefully.
Yes the badalassi Minerva has aged well. Yes they r built very well. Although I would not say they r the most “TANK” shoes .. they r one of my best Indonesian built shoes

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double row Veldtschoen, quadruple upper stitching, reinforced backstay... I don't know what one could want more from a derby. Of course it's not a combat boot but it's built to withstand.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double row Veldtschoen, quadruple upper stitching, reinforced backstay... I don't know what one could want more from a derby. Of course it's not a combat boot but it's built to withstand.

don't get me wrong.. its very well built built.. would have been my best built casual derby in my collection if i didn't have a Flame Panda derby

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a chance to wear my Prof Barnet’s a couple of times now. Here’s my review.

This was my first order from an Indonesian bootmaker. I was a little worried about the sizing, especially since my feet are a little narrow and my left foot is a little larger than my right. I measured my feet twice and submitted my information.

Because of my uncertainty with the sizing, I kept this order basic to keep the costs reasonable. I went with standard options with no upgrade the sole or leather. I chose the olive pull-up leather from a local (Indonesian) tannery, yellowish stitching, block heel, and a standard sole. They were ordered in late July with expected delivery in two months.

The boots were finished in just a little over two months. They arrived with some basic dust cover bags and an extra set of laces.

I was very impressed with the stitching on these boots. The olive leather looked great too, although I don’t notice any pull-up effect. The boots have an cloth-covered foam insole that is similar to what you might find in a pair of running shoes.
51A6ADAC-6936-48A4-B638-66BD9BB7F0AA.jpeg
68F20EC5-DDF7-4394-BE1B-A5888B0CF391.jpeg
AE894AD1-6501-4AF9-88C5-4FADDB9BA868.jpeg

I tried them on and they looked great. The left boot felt slightly short, as I had worried. I wore them for a day hoping that they might fit a little better with some wear. The jury is still out on that — I would probably ask for a little extra length if I order a second pair.

EE5A1A28-2041-4CAB-BF26-D7E0EAEBA4B4.jpeg
48CAD6C2-7CD3-4B8F-99BA-E6B30FCFB1EB.jpeg

With the basic options, these boots were very reasonably priced. The cost was about $260 US, which included $60 for super-fast DHL shipping. That’s a pretty good value in my opinion, especially once your fit is dialed in.

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
Hi thread. I have decided to take the plunge and buy a pair. I am looking at something like a black waxed roughout (I want a matte effect) service boot, with black stitching and black midsole - basically, black all round. (I am "borrowing" this look for the mid-sole and welt
https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt/comments/otyn5b/finished_another_pair_of_black_service_boots/ )

So far I have heard back quickly from Monroe, Imperium Avinos and Santalum, all of whom can provide the leather I am looking for, and accommodate my odd feet (thin foot, very narrow heel, bunion). I have also enquired with Alvinos, Daedelus and Alvinos.

Santalum is offered black waxed calf roughout from Cloe for $350
Monroe is offering Badalassi box nero, and local black dyed vegtan leather for $350 and $280 respectively
Imperium is offering Cloe horserump for $320 and local waxed roughout for $210(!)
Avinos can do Carlo Minerva badalasi, local pull ups for $230-280, plus I think a custom last.

Given that I just tried some boots from Sanders and Velasca off the shelf for £290, all of these are extremely keenly priced, in my view.

Does anyone have a view on which maker is better - is there a material difference? I am not looking for anything really out of the ordinary - a pretty standard service boot that fits me better than anything off the shelf - and for the price I am expecting good but not amazing quality. I am pretty confident that the quality from all of them will far exceed my requirements.
Do you think there is a material difference in the quality of the leathers in terms of appearance, softness or longevity?
Many thanks for the input - I am rather new to this so any seasoned advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a pair of black longwing brogues from Txture on sale. These were listed as '40D' which is the same size as the boots I had made from Junkard, but these are nothing like that size, indeed I would say they were more like a 41.5E - i.e. not just slightly off but a completely different size. Anyway, they weren't made for me and I took a risk. They are very nice, so if anyone wants them I will entertain offers.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a pair of black longwing brogues from Txture on sale. These were listed as '40D' which is the same size as the boots I had made from Junkard, but these are nothing like that size, indeed I would say they were more like a 41.5E - i.e. not just slightly off but a completely different size. Anyway, they weren't made for me and I took a risk. They are very nice, so if anyone wants them I will entertain offers.

That's about my size. Wanna show me pictures in case they interest me? Added bonus that we're in the same country, so for shipping and duties it's going to be so much less of a hassle.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi thread. I have decided to take the plunge and buy a pair. I am looking at something like a black waxed roughout (I want a matte effect) service boot, with black stitching and black midsole - basically, black all round. (I am "borrowing" this look for the mid-sole and welt
https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt/comments/otyn5b/finished_another_pair_of_black_service_boots/ )

So far I have heard back quickly from Monroe, Imperium Avinos and Santalum, all of whom can provide the leather I am looking for, and accommodate my odd feet (thin foot, very narrow heel, bunion). I have also enquired with Alvinos, Daedelus and Alvinos.

Santalum is offered black waxed calf roughout from Cloe for $350
Monroe is offering Badalassi box nero, and local black dyed vegtan leather for $350 and $280 respectively
Imperium is offering Cloe horserump for $320 and local waxed roughout for $210(!)
Avinos can do Carlo Minerva badalasi, local pull ups for $230-280, plus I think a custom last.

Given that I just tried some boots from Sanders and Velasca off the shelf for £290, all of these are extremely keenly priced, in my view.

Does anyone have a view on which maker is better - is there a material difference? I am not looking for anything really out of the ordinary - a pretty standard service boot that fits me better than anything off the shelf - and for the price I am expecting good but not amazing quality. I am pretty confident that the quality from all of them will far exceed my requirements.
Do you think there is a material difference in the quality of the leathers in terms of appearance, softness or longevity?
Many thanks for the input - I am rather new to this so any seasoned advice would be much appreciated.
Have you already made your decision?

I’m sorry that nobody has been able to answer your question. I have only one pair from an Indonesian bootmaker, and it was not any of the ones you mentioned.

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
Have you already made your decision?

I’m sorry that nobody has been able to answer your question. I have only one pair from an Indonesian bootmaker, and it was not any of the ones you mentioned.
Thanks for the follow-up. I went with Santalum (it was between them and Monroe). People on the Stitchdown discord (who are OBSESSIVE about boots and shoes) gave me some handy tips. I don't think either maker is as good as Onderhoud, Renava or Benzein but they are both quicker and cheaper, and I don't need such high quality. Monroe was responsive via WhatsApp and Santalum via email, which I preferred. Both charged the same; $350 for foreign leathers (I went with Horween waxed flesh).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads