• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In search of: the perfect dopp kit

Reaction score
I am a frequent traveler and the dopp kit stays packed. On a recent trip, the Victorinox nylon bag I have used happily for years suddenly bled on an expenive white shirt. Of course, this necessitated a shopping trip but I digress.

I switched the offending kit out for an leather kit I have had for years that was a gift. It is a beautiful item but it doesnt work for me. Classic Dopp shape with two zippers and it is divided into two sides. Organizationally speaking that sound good. In practice, it means the opening is small enough that often to find the lost item in the bottom of the bag I have to dump the whole thing out.

Nearing retirement, I expect to travel as frequently for leisure and for the occasional advisory/consulting gig to make more travel money! So, now I need advice and opinions. I searched the forums and found some old threads but new poducts show up routinely and a thread dated 2010 seems stale.

Here are my requirements. I usually travel between 2 nights and 1 week. Most travel is in the US but some is abroad. I want an attractive kit in leather not over $200 in price that can be easily packed in the luggage. I normally check my bag due to a shoulder injury but I always carry a ziplock in case I have to carry on. Consequently, I am not concerned about the 3-1-1 deal. I have considered The Tanta from Maxwell Scott, this bag from Leatherology

or this bag from Saddleback Leather

I want to like the Saddleback but I fear it is too rigid to pack comfortably without taking up too much luggage space. The Leatherology seems just too organized. The Tanta seems the best. Does anyone own any of these and would you care to offer an opinion? Do you have a favorite you would recommend?

Thanks in advance gentlemen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads