• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Search of Loafer from Italy

Domino11803

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My girlfriend will be in Italy in the fall and I want to take advantage of the pricing and get a nice Italian loafer. My budget is about $850. I’ve tried on Gucci loafers and they are too narrow for my foot. The only shoe that fits me are their drivers. I was curious how the Tramezza line of Ferragamo ran or if there was anything better for my foot width in that price range. Thanks!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the headache of getting something that doesn’t fit and having to deal with sending it back, assuming it’s even possible far outweighs any marginal pricing benefit.

Have you tried on the SF Tramezza yourself?

Domino11803

Reaction score
Nah. Plan on doing it next weekend. Just can’t find much about sizing when it comes to wide Italian made loafers. Doesn’t even have to be super wide, just slightly wider than Gucci

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. My girlfriend will be in Italy in the fall and I want to take advantage of the pricing and get a nice Italian loafer. My budget is about $850. I’ve tried on Gucci loafers and they are too narrow for my foot. The only shoe that fits me are their drivers. I was curious how the Tramezza line of Ferragamo ran or if there was anything better for my foot width in that price range. Thanks!
You can check if Paolo Scafora has some blake stitched ones around that price point. Or Meccariello welted ones.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Will you be there for the purchase or are you having your girlfriend purchase the shoes for you? Loafers can be difficult to fit because there aren't any laces. As such, the fit has to be just right. It might be dicey to have someone purchase loafers without you being there, as you won't be able to make a return later.

Domino11803

Reaction score
Will you be there for the purchase or are you having your girlfriend purchase the shoes for you? Loafers can be difficult to fit because there aren't any laces. As such, the fit has to be just right. It might be dicey to have someone purchase loafers without you being there, as you won't be able to make a return later.
I will not unfortunately. That’s a good point. I know I can try on ferragamo stateside. Are the other options more limited to try on for fit here?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I will not unfortunately. That’s a good point. I know I can try on ferragamo stateside. Are the other options more limited to try on for fit here?

If you're new to buying high-end shoes, it can take a while to figure out your true shoe size, the nuances of your foot shape (shoe size doesn't tell everything), and how shoes should fit. Once you figure that out, it's not difficult to order shoes online.

Ferragamo is fine, but I think there are better options.

If you're based in NYC, there are shops such as Leffot. If you're in Southern California, there's Gentlemen's Footwear. If you're in the Bay Area, there's Khakis of Carmel. The market for high-end shoes has somewhat shrunk over the years -- it can be hard to find shops with a wide selection of good brands, as many will only carry one or two lines, if they carry them at all. If you tell us where you're based or the biggest metropolitan area near you, some people may be able to give suggestions.

If you're willing to try things on at home, it's possible to get a good size if you read up a little about the subject, ask people here for advice, and buy from a place that has a good and easy return policy. For $850 and under, you can try Carmina, Lof & Tung, Crockett & Jones, and TLB Mallorca to start. Depending on where you're based, be careful with shopping with stores based abroad, as it can make returns a little more difficult, especially since COVID has made international shipping a little less reliable.

If I can interject just a bit of personal preference, I recommend being cautious of the overly flashy, heavily patina'd, and very pointy styles you see from Italy. Those can be hard to wear well in an outfit and I think the styles don't age well.

Domino11803

Reaction score
If you're new to buying high-end shoes, it can take a while to figure out your true shoe size, the nuances of your foot shape (shoe size doesn't tell everything), and how shoes should fit. Once you figure that out, it's not difficult to order shoes online.

Ferragamo is fine, but I think there are better options.

If you're based in NYC, there are shops such as Leffot. If you're in Southern California, there's Gentlemen's Footwear. If you're in the Bay Area, there's Khakis of Carmel. The market for high-end shoes has somewhat shrunk over the years -- it can be hard to find shops with a wide selection of good brands, as many will only carry one or two lines, if they carry them at all. If you tell us where you're based or the biggest metropolitan area near you, some people may be able to give suggestions.

If you're willing to try things on at home, it's possible to get a good size if you read up a little about the subject, ask people here for advice, and buy from a place that has a good and easy return policy. For $850 and under, you can try Carmina, Lof & Tung, Crockett & Jones, and TLB Mallorca to start. Depending on where you're based, be careful with shopping with stores based abroad, as it can make returns a little more difficult, especially since COVID has made international shipping a little less reliable.

If I can interject just a bit of personal preference, I recommend being cautious of the overly flashy, heavily patina'd, and very pointy styles you see from Italy. Those can be hard to wear well in an outfit and I think the styles don't age well.

I appreciate the feedback. I’m originally from NYC so there are options for me to go back home since that is where my family if from. I moved to Nashville in February if you’re familiar with the area.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback. I’m originally from NYC so there are options for me to go back home since that is where my family if from. I moved to Nashville in February if you’re familiar with the area.

I don't know that area very well, but @mossrockss has a Nashville shopping guide here. He may also be able to direct you to quality footwear stores, if he wants to chime in.

Mr G from SD

Reaction score
I have a few pairs of Ferragamo Tramezza and always find Ferragamo in general to be about 1 width small. My shoes are EE which I think is more like a E. My pairs are close to 10 years old so maybe not even sound advice today.

Nothing wrong with Ferragamo but I would be more intrigued to look at brands with less of a US presence. I fell in love with Stefano Bemer in the past couple years. Bergdorf Goodman carries them so you could see in person, and I think is one of the only retailers in the whole country. Bontoni was a great suggestion also.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Early on when I started getting into and buying my own shoes Ferragamo and Santoni became my go to because they were the antithesis of the more plain, less interesting (to me) shaped Allen Edmonds I wore through prep school. In my early 20s SF and Santoni were interesting, they were “Italian” and I assumed because they had a higher price point they must be better. They’re fine but they’re nothing special.

Setting aside the good advice above about not buying them if you don’t know your size and aren’t there to try them on Ferragamo is regularly available in the US and marked down significantly at places like Nordstrom Rack and similar outlets online, particularly in the wider width you are interested in, so there isn’t much to take advantage of with regards to pricing in Italy.

These days with everything pretty much being a global economy and accessible online buying abroad I do for three reasons - 1) a maker that I can only visit in person. 2) something to mark the trip - some people like trinkets, I like clothes, accessories and footwear. 3) and most often its because I forgot to pack something.

Given you won’t be there with her I’m not sure there is any advantage or need to have her bring something home to you. If you just want a good loafer because you want a good loafer the suggestions above were good for Italian makers but if you’re just going to order online the world is your oyster and there are threads elsewhere like this one that can help you find something. Most of those recommended on this thread would fall in your budget. https://www.styleforum.net/threads/one-loafer-above-all-others.684249/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads