• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In case of problems with affiliate vendors - what to do?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I received this message from a forum member:

I was very excited when I saw Pink as one of your sponsors, as their slim fits were my absolute favorite shirts. However, after a recent experience there, I would caution you on having this forum, for the discerning shopper and sartorialist, being associated with them. I recently bought a shirt there, which I wore once. When I went to go to the cleaners with it, I saw that two of the buttons were already coming undone. I went back to the store (Copley one in Boston) to exchange it. They told me the best they could do was send it out for repair. That, for obvious reasons, is unaccpetable. At $165 a pop, I expect them to be perfect the first time. I don't expect to have to waste two hours to bring it back, and then another two, some time later, to get the repaired one. Beside which, I don't want something to have to be repaired after such a short time, I want it done right. As I'm sure you are aware, the forum is associated with the brands it advertises for, and I just want you to know about this experience when deciding if this is a business worth associating with. Thanks for your time.
This raises some questions as to what to do when people have bad experiences with an affiliate. I will paste my response to him so that I don't repeat myself:

Originally Posted by Me
Thank you for your message. I may put this question to a discussion with the forum to see what people think I should do. Maybe a link to a ratings/experiences thread for each sponsor on the sponsors page would help? Not to discount your experience at all, but some people have had bad experiences with various vendors that many people have never had trouble with. Some people even feel it's worth the risk and would be ordering anyway despite others' bad experiences. In any case, I don't want forum members to be unhappy with the performance of the sponsors, but at the same time I want them to have all the options they want.

If I get consistently bad reports from an affiliate, I will just drop them - it's not worth it. However, though I know there is not a ton of love for Pink in this forum, this is the first report I've had of any trouble since adding them as an affiliate.

What should we do?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd hardly count a couple of buttons coming loose as a "problem." These things happen, even with the best of the best. Reattaching them is so simple as to make this laughable. Therefore, don't sweat it.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
right. loose buttons arent a concern, I can re-sew them on myself...after all those shirts are mass produced so imperfections like that will be common. If the sleeve fell off, then I'd say we had a problem.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just my two cents. I know many on the forum share no love for Pink, and there is an overriding opinion that Pink's shirts are not worth the money. I've never purchased anything from them, so I can't comment on this.

I think it's a matter of degree. If you start getting numerous reports about inferior quality, workmanship, service, etc. about a particular sponsor, you should consider dropping that sponsor.

However, here we have, to this point, an isolated incident. Further, not to belittle the person who had the problem, but I have had issues with buttons coming loose on shirts I have purchased in all different price ranges and from many different makers. I usually just re-sew the button myself. As discerning shoppers who most likely spend more than the average person on clothing, we all want things to be done right the first time. When this isn't the case, it's annoying but, to me, this one incident doesn't rise to the level of something so eggregious that Pink should be dropped as a sponsor at this point.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Anyone can do a search here and get opinions on Pink. If they choose to order anyway, then that's their decision and you might as well get the link through for it. I don't consider your links as personal or site endorsements, but rather as "if you're going to order from these guys at least throw some money my way for doing it." I don't think Pink is defrauding people, well no more so than other clothing retailers. Don't sweat it.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why do I have to be Mr. Pink?

Seriously J, Pink is a known quantity and has been covered ad nauseum on this board. Perhaps that particualr sales guy was a jerk (see Todd). No one suggested a boycott of RL after poor Jose's experience. IMHO...This is a non-issue.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non-issue, yes.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I don't consider your links as personal or site endorsements, but rather as "if you're going to order from these guys at least throw some money my way for doing it." I don't think Pink is defrauding people, well no more so than other clothing retailers. Don't sweat it.

Very well put, Alan. Couldn't have said it better myself.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At $165 a pop, he should have bought H&K's sale-by-mail shirts. They are a lot better than Pink's shirts and cheaper too. And yes, buttons occasionally do come off, but there are worse things to worry about, like why is he dry-cleaning the shirt instead of washing it at home?

Jon.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree, non issue. you need to get money where you can, and no one is assuming that you endorse your advertisers.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

If I get consistently bad reports from an affiliate, I will just drop them - it's not worth it. However, though I know there is not a ton of love for Pink in this forum, this is the first report I've had of any trouble since adding them as an affiliate.

What should we do?

J:

I'll sing alto in the "non issue" chorus.

Also, thank you, J, for graciously asking the rest of us to weigh in. Your consensus oriented approach is what makes the Styleforum the great community that it is.

Bic

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads