In case of problems with affiliate vendors - what to do?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 30, 2006.

1. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I received this message from a forum member:

This raises some questions as to what to do when people have bad experiences with an affiliate. I will paste my response to him so that I don't repeat myself:

Thank you for your message. I may put this question to a discussion with the forum to see what people think I should do. Maybe a link to a ratings/experiences thread for each sponsor on the sponsors page would help? Not to discount your experience at all, but some people have had bad experiences with various vendors that many people have never had trouble with. Some people even feel it's worth the risk and would be ordering anyway despite others' bad experiences. In any case, I don't want forum members to be unhappy with the performance of the sponsors, but at the same time I want them to have all the options they want.

If I get consistently bad reports from an affiliate, I will just drop them - it's not worth it. However, though I know there is not a ton of love for Pink in this forum, this is the first report I've had of any trouble since adding them as an affiliate.

What should we do?

2. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I'd hardly count a couple of buttons coming loose as a "problem." These things happen, even with the best of the best. Reattaching them is so simple as to make this laughable. Therefore, don't sweat it.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

right. loose buttons arent a concern, I can re-sew them on myself...after all those shirts are mass produced so imperfections like that will be common. If the sleeve fell off, then I'd say we had a problem.

4. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Just my two cents. I know many on the forum share no love for Pink, and there is an overriding opinion that Pink's shirts are not worth the money. I've never purchased anything from them, so I can't comment on this.

I think it's a matter of degree. If you start getting numerous reports about inferior quality, workmanship, service, etc. about a particular sponsor, you should consider dropping that sponsor.

However, here we have, to this point, an isolated incident. Further, not to belittle the person who had the problem, but I have had issues with buttons coming loose on shirts I have purchased in all different price ranges and from many different makers. I usually just re-sew the button myself. As discerning shoppers who most likely spend more than the average person on clothing, we all want things to be done right the first time. When this isn't the case, it's annoying but, to me, this one incident doesn't rise to the level of something so eggregious that Pink should be dropped as a sponsor at this point.

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Anyone can do a search here and get opinions on Pink. If they choose to order anyway, then that's their decision and you might as well get the link through for it. I don't consider your links as personal or site endorsements, but rather as "if you're going to order from these guys at least throw some money my way for doing it." I don't think Pink is defrauding people, well no more so than other clothing retailers. Don't sweat it.

6. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why do I have to be Mr. Pink?

Seriously J, Pink is a known quantity and has been covered ad nauseum on this board. Perhaps that particualr sales guy was a jerk (see Todd). No one suggested a boycott of RL after poor Jose's experience. IMHO...This is a non-issue.

7. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Non-issue, yes.

8. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I don't consider your links as personal or site endorsements, but rather as "if you're going to order from these guys at least throw some money my way for doing it." I don't think Pink is defrauding people, well no more so than other clothing retailers. Don't sweat it.

Very well put, Alan. Couldn't have said it better myself.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

At $165 a pop, he should have bought H&K's sale-by-mail shirts. They are a lot better than Pink's shirts and cheaper too. And yes, buttons occasionally do come off, but there are worse things to worry about, like why is he dry-cleaning the shirt instead of washing it at home?

Jon.

10. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Very well put, Alan. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    I agree as well. I think most people understand that it's not an endorsement.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

A non-issue, imo.

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I agree, non issue. you need to get money where you can, and no one is assuming that you endorse your advertisers.

13. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Not your problem any way you look at it.

14. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

If I get consistently bad reports from an affiliate, I will just drop them - it's not worth it. However, though I know there is not a ton of love for Pink in this forum, this is the first report I've had of any trouble since adding them as an affiliate.

What should we do?

J:

I'll sing alto in the "non issue" chorus.

Also, thank you, J, for graciously asking the rest of us to weigh in. Your consensus oriented approach is what makes the Styleforum the great community that it is.

Bic

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

They should have given him a free Ipod tie.