• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In-between two suit coat sizes - thoughts?

ckeck

Reaction score
Hello, first time poster here, glad to meet everyone!

So I've always wanted a darker gray/charcoal suit but wasn't planning to purchase anytime soon, needed to save up a bit. Banana Republic was running their Friends & Family promotion last month though and I was able to score 50% off 5 items. Now I know it may not be the best option out there, but some of their pieces are pretty nice and they happened to have one of their "tailored fit" suits in just the color I wanted.

Problem is with this cut I seem to be right in-between jacket sizes (same problem with most shirts M/L). I picked up a 38R which fits basically on the money. It can be ever so slightly tight with extended movements but that is infrequent. Shoulders look perfect, sleeve length is perfect, overall length seems just right at 31" (I'm 6' 1/2"). The back is basically snug/tight but with no buckling/pulling I don't think.

I'm just a bit concerned about having an even slight change in body, whether that be muscle in the arms/shoulders/back or possibly gaining any small amount of weight. Of course this could be a good deterrent too :)

I tried on the 40R at the store (been a few weeks but they are willing to exchange). Definitely has a bit more room but everything is just a touch too long so it would have to be tailored in the back/waist to be made more trim, slight bit off the sleeves which are a little long...they also seem to have a bit of extra fabric higher up in the arms, not sure what can be done about this. The length is 31.5" so I'm not worried about that. Main concern is the shoulders and making sure those aren't too wide. It's really close, might be fine but I know that's a hard one to fix and probably not worth it.

What would you guys do in this situation? I wore the suit once already and had a lot of complements it, color and fitting I think. Never had a jacket quite this "fit" but it definitely looks good in 38R, just NO wiggle room.

Or should I go with 40R assuming shoulders are ok and have the rest tailored?

Will try to get some pics later, just not home at the moment. Thanks so much!

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Choose based on the shoulders, and have the jacket altered. It sounds like the 38R is pretty close, and just needs to be let out a little. Make sure there is some material in it so that it can be let out, and go that way, I'd say.

ckeck

Reaction score
Choose based on the shoulders, and have the jacket altered. It sounds like the 38R is pretty close, and just needs to be let out a little. Make sure there is some material in it so that it can be let out, and go that way, I'd say.

Thanks for the feedback...where should I look specifically to see if there is any or how much extra material is available to let out the smaller coat? I'll try to swing by the tailor, but if I can look now to get any indication that would help.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at the seems inside the jacket, if you can see behind the lining, or if the jacket is not fully lined, and look f there is additional fabric folded back. Usually there is an inch or two of play, so you can go up or down a size, essentially. If you can't see, check the return policy on the jacket, and if it's easy to return, buy both, take them to the tailor, keep the one that works best and return the other.

ckeck

Reaction score
Perfect, thanks. Looks like there is a little, but I'll swing by the tailor tomorrow and find out for sure. Appreciate it.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a different cut suit. That suit is more or less a "slim fit suit . You would probably do well to buy a more generously cut suit
and have it altered. It still may be sized 38.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads