• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Between Sizes: Let Out or Take In?

undarted

Reaction score
I find size 31 pants fits me best, for the past 10 years or so.

30 too tight, 32 too big, by roughly equal measures. One would think I could just get away with the 32, but it actually creates an unsightly fold somewhere due to the extra fabric. I also feel that subjectively, maybe the rise, thighs are also too big.

Size 30, I have to inhale to button up.

So.

What do you guys normally do, size one up to take the waist in, or size one down to let it out?

I guess the main concern is pocket placement: closer together or farther apart?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The difference between 30 and 32 is small enough that wearing a different maker or model should solve the problem. Some 32 have a waist of 33 (or even a little bigger) and legs for zaftig businessmen. Some have a waist of 32 and legs for pre-teen girls.

Ringo

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you. Like chorse said, it's all about the brand. I have some pants in 30 that on certain days are a wee bit on the loose side, while I have other pants in 32 that fit exactly the same, if not a bit tighter. As far as unslightly folds, it's all about how each pair is cut, regardless of size.

In my experience and opinion, it's better to go with 32 and get the waist taken in rather than the reverse. For one, most pants have enough room to be taken in at least an inch and still look normal. Secondly, by letting it out, you risk showing some of the lines left by the old stitching (this is not always an issue, though). Third, by sizing up, you will have room for when you inevitably get a bit fatter and up to a true 32.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads