• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In between sizes, can't decide

DonnyLee

Reaction score
Hi StyleForum,

Coming here looking for advice. You all have been instrumental in my sartorial journey.

Decided to take the plunge with MTO. I've developed my style and this brand falls in line with what I like - classic, yet slightly wide lapels, and texture wool.

The problem, is that I can't decide whether I'm 38 or 40. 38 fits well but I'm leaning towards the 40.

Jacket size 38.
Jacket38.jpg

Jacket size 40.
Jacket40.jpg

What's yall think? Like I said, I'm going for classic, nothing slim or trendy, but would like the jacket to fit well.

Alternatively, get the 40 and alter the size and MAYBE narrow the shoulders a bit?

Let me know.
Donny

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pictures are not ideal but that being said, the size 40 jacket fits much better. 38 is tight in the body and too short. I wouldn't touch the shoulders; they look fine.

Quesjac

Reaction score
+1, 38 is too small in the chest and too short. The 40 might be too big on the shoulder, it's hard to tell from the photo. It's worth trying other brands, though: with MTM if your body shape doesn't work with the block the suit is cut on there's nothing you can do.

DonnyLee

Reaction score
Pictures are not ideal but that being said, the size 40 jacket fits much better. 38 is tight in the body and too short. I wouldn't touch the shoulders; they look fine.

Thought so too. Thanks. And yup, I'm noticing that about 80% of jackets in Asia departmental stores are cut short in the length. It's as though I could always use 3/4" at the bottom.

Wait for a few more responses but I'm leaning towards the 40.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not in between sizes. You're a 40. You can get the necessary suppression at any competent tailor.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agree with USCTrojan above. You're not in between sizes. Definitely the 40, but frankly the silhouette doesn't look that great on you (and it looks a touch short), so I think you should just find a different cut.

DonnyLee

Reaction score
Thanks yall.

Looks like I'm moving to the 40/50. And yes, I agree with dieworkwear. I'm usually in Singapore / Hong Kong and I notice that 80% of jackets, either in RTW or worn by people here, are just a touch short. I don't know whether the manufacturers make them to suit the people here.

I'm 5 foot 7, 18" across the shoulders and ideally a 29.5" from base of collar to bottom hem. Seems pretty usual to me. But yeah, I definitely feel more comfortable when I can feel the clothe at my finger tips when I let my arms free hand.

Cheers!

TheVarmint

Reaction score
Hi StyleForum,

Coming here looking for advice. You all have been instrumental in my sartorial journey.

Decided to take the plunge with MTO. I've developed my style and this brand falls in line with what I like - classic, yet slightly wide lapels, and texture wool.

The problem, is that I can't decide whether I'm 38 or 40. 38 fits well but I'm leaning towards the 40.

Jacket size 38.
View attachment 465397

Jacket size 40.
View attachment 465406

What's yall think? Like I said, I'm going for classic, nothing slim or trendy, but would like the jacket to fit well.

Alternatively, get the 40 and alter the size and MAYBE narrow the shoulders a bit?

Let me know.
Donny
I would vote for the 40. Nice color too.

MannyGermany

Reaction score
I also say the 40 looks better. Drapes well, no stress around the buttom, and balance around the neck & shoulders looks better.

MannyGermany

Reaction score
Thanks yall.

Looks like I'm moving to the 40/50. And yes, I agree with dieworkwear. I'm usually in Singapore / Hong Kong and I notice that 80% of jackets, either in RTW or worn by people here, are just a touch short. I don't know whether the manufacturers make them to suit the people here.

I'm 5 foot 7, 18" across the shoulders and ideally a 29.5" from base of collar to bottom hem. Seems pretty usual to me. But yeah, I definitely feel more comfortable when I can feel the clothe at my finger tips when I let my arms free hand.

Cheers!

Maybe I should try some jackets from there as I am a out 5'5" and also Asian so those might be perfect for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads