1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I'm white, but I am part black so my hair is ****ed up.

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by justin_o88, Aug 6, 2009.

1. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Senior member

If he could afford to pay $100 for a haircut, he wouldn't have posted this thread.

Go to a black barbershop. Until you get to the very upper tier of salons, it's pretty much segregated. Salons only do white hair (they pretend that Asians have the same hair).

I don't think the fauxhawk would be good for you, but you could pull it off. Listen to the suggestions to wash it less (you can still rinse it daily; just use shampoo every few days), and try some product. Try harder products meant for white hair first (maybe a fiber product; do not use gel) and work your way from there. A lot of black hair styling products are very difficult to work with and are probably not a good place to start if you're new to doing anything with your hair.

ditto to all of that. sorry, didn't think of price as a factor. the guy i go to is a bumble & bumble network educator and he IS extremely talented, but i DO pay for it, $55 worth, ha.

regarding the 'salons only do white hair (they pretend that asians have the same hair)'

i'm asian and have actually found that american salons have done a much better job than the couple of japanese or korean salons i've gone to - the asian places always end up over texturizing, leaving me with a stringy, uneven mess. i like more natural, looser looking cuts and the skill set to achieve that just hasn't been there in the couple of asian places i've been to.

anywho, getting comments all the time like 'wow, you have really great hair' or 'wow, i didn't know asian hair could do that' . . . i think i'll stick to my caucasian salon [​IMG]

2. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Senior member

If he could afford to pay $100 for a haircut, he wouldn't have posted this thread.

Go to a black barbershop. Until you get to the very upper tier of salons, it's pretty much segregated. Salons only do white hair (they pretend that Asians have the same hair).

I don't think the fauxhawk would be good for you, but you could pull it off. Listen to the suggestions to wash it less (you can still rinse it daily; just use shampoo every few days), and try some product. Try harder products meant for white hair first (maybe a fiber product; do not use gel) and work your way from there. A lot of black hair styling products are very difficult to work with and are probably not a good place to start if you're new to doing anything with your hair.

ditto to all of that. sorry, didn't think of price as a factor. the guy i go to is a bumble & bumble network educator and he IS extremely talented, but i DO pay for it, $55 worth, ha.

regarding the 'salons only do white hair (they pretend that asians have the same hair)'

i'm asian and have actually found that american salons have done a much better job than the couple of japanese or korean salons i've gone to - the asian places always end up over texturizing, leaving me with a stringy, uneven mess. i like more natural, looser looking cuts and the skill set to achieve that just hasn't been there in the couple of asian places i've been to.

anywho, getting comments all the time like 'wow, you have really great hair' or 'wow, i didn't know asian hair could do that' . . . i think i'll stick to my caucasian salon [​IMG]

3. Kris

Kris Senior member

Go to a fucking black barber. He'll know how to cut your hair.
    Yeah, but I'm guessing he's feeling awkward about going to one.

4. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Senior member

my old roommate is white and went to a black barber for his buzz cut. he said they did it much better there bc it grew out more neatly and even.

5. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Yeah, but I'm guessing he's feeling awkward about going to one.

He should just walk in and announce, "I'm white, but I am part black so my hair is ****ed up"

6. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

He should just walk in and announce, "I'm white, but I am part black so my hair is ****ed up"

They'd be like "boy you crazy you got that good hair"

7. tropics

tropics Senior member

[​IMG]

8. RCG Tiburon

RCG Tiburon Senior member

They'd be like "boy you crazy you got that good hair"

[​IMG] [​IMG]