• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm getting fcuking old

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've started trying to get back into shape. I turned 32 yesterday and since I've hired a trainer a few months ago the inflammation in my left knee has come back. This hasn't been a problem since I was playing collegiate level lacrosse. Now I can't even run on a treadmill without pain. As I sit here My left ankle also hurts and I have no idea why. ****. I don't want to get old.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why you guys so old? :\\

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
run along son, the grown ups are talking.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I've started trying to get back into shape. I turned 32 yesterday and since I've hired a trainer a few months ago the inflammation in my left knee has come back. This hasn't been a problem since I was playing collegiate level lacrosse. Now I can't even run on a treadmill without pain. As I sit here My left ankle also hurts and I have no idea why. ****. I don't want to get old.

I had a similar issue a few years ago, I was very very heavy, which is another thing, but I had joint inflamations in my ankles that made it very difficult to excersize. I thoght that that was it, that I would jsut have to live with it. my wife made me go to a doctor, and he gave me a couple of steroid shots and it did fantastic things for my inflamations. ask before you accept it.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might do some research on high doses of fish oil - 10mg EPA/DHA/day or more. Seems to be a lot of anecdotal and some clinical evidence of these doses easing inflammation and joint pain.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ease into it and keep at it. Unless you are a pro athlete, 32 is not old and your body has many miles in it before you will sense a decline. I am 43 and in easily the best shape of my life since my early to mid twenties. Other than a slightly longer recovery time, I don't sense any degradation in my physical abilities. I look back at my late twenties and thirties with regret - I was in good shape but I could have done so much more with the focus and motivation I currently have.

Good luck!

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get off the treadmill and get into the pool and onto the elliptical trainer. I stopped running in my mid-twenties (29 now) because of all of the boomers who are replacing all of their joints from a)being disgustingly out of shape and b)running all the time. Non-impact cardio is so much better for the joints. You can't really hit that "zone" you do with running, but I was never serious enough to be addicted like some.

Also, try yoga. Good luck, feel better.

Lear

Reaction score
I would say, " Enjoy today, trusting little in tomorrow".

Someone should turn that into a quote.

Lear (the ugly one)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
have you gotten fitted for a proper running shoe yet? i had similar pain problems when i started running. i went to a specialty running gear store and got fitted for a pair of shoes that worked for my running gait (i'm an overpronator) and they worked like a dream

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
have you gotten fitted for a proper running shoe yet? i had similar pain problems when i started running. i went to a specialty running gear store and got fitted for a pair of shoes that worked for my running gait (i'm an overpronator) and they worked like a dream

I should do that

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One day you will bitterly laugh that you once lamented that 32 is old.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I should do that

First read "Born to Run" and reviews of Vibram Five Fingers. Then buy the cheapest lightest runing show you can find - forget fitting. Nike didn't invent the running shoe but they did invent the runnng injury.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Agree with this. I am also an overpronator and once I stopped buying the wrong shoes, most of my problems went away.

Some aches, though, are just aches. If you're just getting back into it, your body will protest. Happens all the time, and it takes a while to discern a twinge from a problem.

That said, I have the occasional knee problem, and I found exercises to help me fix that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads