• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you were moving to DC, which neighborhood would you move to?

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moving to DC in the fall. Which neighborhoods should I look into? I'll be working just a half mile South-West of Union Station.

Advice?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
from the research my company has had done an area called dupont circle, or adams morgan seems to be a the reasobable to live, in the center of the city but yet close to may things inlcuding masstransit. hope this helps

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
admo = douchebag central. i live in columbia heights, but people complain that it's "too hipster." dupont is nice but a little pricey, it's also an integral part of the city's gayborhood, as the annual pride parade will attest to.

one of the rapidly-gentrifying areas is bloomingdale, due to its quiet nature, lack of many commercial buildings, and its equidistance from two hot nightlife spots: the aforementioned h-street corridoor and the u st. corridoor. i used to live there a year ago but moved to columbia heights because it was a better living situation.

delayedReaction

Reaction score
Adams Morgan proper is going to be fairly obnoxious during the late night socializing hours on Thur/Fri/Sat when all the drunk college/young professionals are stumbling around the neighborhood.

DuPont is pricey. It's hard to give any concrete guidance without a price range. Eastern market is decent for young professionals.

JeffC

Reaction score
admo sucks. I also live in Columbia Heights. It's still kind of ghetto. U street is a better place to live (though pricey).

I'm moving back to Eastern Market in the summer when my lease is up (I'm 25).

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
capitol hill and/or the h st. coridoor in ne. are you driving?

I'll have a car, but I prefer to walk or take mass transit to work.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by auto90403
Never heard of anyone calling Eastern Market a neighborhood. Most of us call it Capitol Hill.

That's good advice right there. I dunno--I'm going by Google Maps.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the places you mentioned are pretty ghetto. You want to look at places that are along the redline of the metro. But all the nice places are expensive, so it really depends on your budget and your willingness to live with roommates.

Adams morgan is not close to any mass transit unless you mean the bus.

Dupont is cool but expensive, Woodley park and cleveland park are cool and near dupont but a little less expensive. The farther you go up the redline, the less of a hip city feel the neighborhoods have and the prices reflect it, until you get to bethesda where everything goes back up again.

Check out Rosslyn, Clarendon, and Courthouse in northern virginia too. Cool places to live and just a few minutes on the metro to get into dc.

auto90403

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
Moving to DC in the fall. Which neighborhoods should I look into? I'll be working just a half mile South-West of Union Station.

Advice?

I take it you're single. So don't bother with Cleveland Park, Woodley Park or Bethesda. They're for married people with kids.

If you live on Capitol Hill, you can walk to work. It's the secret best undiscovered neighborhood in DC. Much of the Senate and House and their staffers live here. Just be careful not to stray too far into NE or down Penn Ave toward Anacostia -- things can get bad very quickly.

Penn Quarter is the hot new area. My sense is, its hotness is developer-driven. We'll see if it survives the collapse of the real estate market. Not a real neighborhood yet, in my opinion. You will need a car to drive to the supermarket and the like.

Adams Morgan has been the up and coming neighborhood for the last 20 years and 20 years from now it will still be on the cusp of getting hot. Ditto Columbia Heights. Don't bother.

U street is much like Penn Quarter but at a lower price point -- another developer-driven revival. Maybe you'll get lucky and stumble into a real estate steal.

The really interesting but still risky neighborhood is Logan Circle. Gays who put in a lot of sweat equity have done amazing job gentrifying a really REALLY ****** neighborhood. But there are still pockets of poverty making it dangerous to walk home late at night.

Dupont Circle is pricey and kinda boring. 20 years ago it was DC's gay neighborhood. Now they've been priced out (and into Logan Circle) so that Dupont feels like it's nothing but law firms and the classier public interest/lobbying shops and decent-but-not-great restaurants. But it's very nice. Especially the parts that back into Kalorama. Which is without a doubt the most elegant urban neighborhood in America.

Forget Maryland. And the parts of Northern Virginia where singles live feel too much like the Midwest or small-town South. Urban without really being urban. NoVa, by the way, has amazing restaurants. Unless you're prepared to spend serious money, you will eat far better in NoVa than in the District.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will you be driving to work? Are you willing to live in a group house or take on a roommate? Do you want an area with more nightlife or one that feels more neighborhoody?

At $1500/month, you're going to be priced out of Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan (where parking is a nightmare anyways), and many of the close-in neighborhoods in Northern Virginia. Penn Quarter has great nightlife, but feels a bit sterile to me and lacks a supermarket. U Street lacks a supermarket as well. Columbia Heights is a transitional neighborhood and still unsafe, no matter what anyone tries to tell you.

Without knowing more, I would recommend Capitol Hill (near Eastern Market and Barracks Row, not Union Station) and Cleveland Park.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads