• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you were moving to DC, which neighborhood would you move to?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by auto90403
I take it you're single. So don't bother with Cleveland Park, Woodley Park or Bethesda. They're for married people with kids.

If you live on Capitol Hill, you can walk to work. It's the secret best undiscovered neighborhood in DC. Much of the Senate and House and their staffers live here. Just be careful not to stray too far into NE or down Penn Ave toward Anacostia -- things can get bad very quickly.

Penn Quarter is the hot new area. My sense is, its hotness is developer-driven. We'll see if it survives the collapse of the real estate market. Not a real neighborhood yet, in my opinion. You will need a car to drive to the supermarket and the like.

Adams Morgan has been the up and coming neighborhood for the last 20 years and 20 years from now it will still be on the cusp of getting hot. Ditto Columbia Heights. Don't bother.

U street is much like Penn Quarter but at a lower price point -- another developer-driven revival. Maybe you'll get lucky and stumble into a real estate steal.

The really interesting but still risky neighborhood is Logan Circle. Gays who put in a lot of sweat equity have done amazing job gentrifying a really REALLY ****** neighborhood. But there are still pockets of poverty making it dangerous to walk home late at night.

Dupont Circle is pricey and kinda boring. 20 years ago it was DC's gay neighborhood. Now they've been priced out (and into Logan Circle) so that Dupont feels like it's nothing but law firms and the classier public interest/lobbying shops and decent-but-not-great restaurants. But it's very nice. Especially the parts that back into Kalorama. Which is without a doubt the most elegant urban neighborhood in America.

Forget Maryland. And the parts of Northern Virginia where singles live feel too much like the Midwest or small-town South. Urban without really being urban. NoVa, by the way, has amazing restaurants. Unless you're prepared to spend serious money, you will eat far better in NoVa than in the District.

I don't know, you could try downtown Bethesda. Its like a mini DC that shuts down at about 11:30pm or so. You'll never hear any techno or house at a "club" you go to there, but if you like Bon Jovi and top 40, you're in luck.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Hard sell.

Yes, I'm single. These descriptions are helpful. FYI, a friend tells me there's a Safeway across from her apt in Penn Quarter.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you live on Capitol Hill, you can walk to work. It's the secret best undiscovered neighborhood in DC. Much of the Senate and House and their staffers live here. Just be careful not to stray too far into NE or down Penn Ave toward Anacostia -- things can get bad very quickly.
Isn't Anacostia across the river? Seems like it would be tough to accidentally "stray" there.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Penn Quarter is the hot new area. My sense is, its hotness is developer-driven. We'll see if it survives the collapse of the real estate market. Not a real neighborhood yet, in my opinion. You will need a car to drive to the supermarket and the like.
Not necessarily true. There is a Safeway at 5th and K now.

summej2

Reaction score
SW Waterfront is an underrated option fairly close to where you'll be working.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
U street is much like Penn Quarter but at a lower price point -- another developer-driven revival. Maybe you'll get lucky and stumble into a real estate steal.

NoVa, by the way, has amazing restaurants. Unless you're prepared to spend serious money, you will eat far better in NoVa than in the District.

+1. I would suggest for NoVA, Clarendon or maybe Fairlington.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course many people would go with Georgetown, but out of your choices I would go with Eastern Market/the Hill.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gtown Baby!

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
+1. I would suggest for NoVA, Clarendon or maybe Fairlington.

NoVA is so bland. Where is Fairlington?

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scnupe7
NoVA is so bland. Where is Fairlington?

Whoops, meant Farlington. It borders Alexandria/Bradlee shopping center. Very close to Old Town, somewhat sandwiched between Falls Church and Arlington.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
Whoops, meant Farlington. It borders Alexandria/Bradlee shopping center. Very close to Old Town, somewhat sandwiched between Falls Church and Arlington.

Interesting. I've never heard of it.

skiwebster

Reaction score
I'd say either Cap Hill/Eastern Market or Penn Quarter. The Hill will be cheaper and you can park on the street if you wanted (no street parking in PQ except for meters). The further out you go on penn ave in the hill the cheaper it will be. I think the area by potomac metro is starting to look nice and they just got a brand new harris teeter.

auto90403

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Isn't Anacostia across the river? Seems like it would be tough to accidentally "stray" there.

"Toward Anacostia" = in the direction of Anacostia.

Trust me, I wasn't suggesting he consider moving there.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unless you work in Georgetown or have car, I don't see the point in living there. I love the area but I like living within 10 minutes of a metro stop.

I've been looking to move from the Van Ness/Forrest hills area and am looking at Dupont, U street (particularly in between Dupont and U street metros where I'm convinced I can find a steal), and Foggy Bottom. I still like Cleveland Park and Woodley but more for the reason of stumbling across a nice house a block or two off of Connecticut Ave for cheapo rent.

The right parts of capitol hill are actually pretty nice but not my cup of tea (unless I worked closer to the area).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads