• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had to do it all over again...

Jkhan82

Reaction score
What if you lost everything today (god forbid) and you had to redo your wardrobe all over again...what would be the first items you pick up within the first year? Where would you begin? What would you invest in and what wouldn't you?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
two button navy hopsack blazer
gray flannel trou
brown brogued chelseas
burgundy grenadine
white shirt
blue shirt

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First Suit - Charcoal notch lapel SB
First Odd Jackets - Navy blazer DB, houndstooth SB odd jacket, navy linen odd jacket for summer
First Trousers - Medium grey flannel (several), light grey fresco (a couple) and cream linen (at least one) for summer
First Shirts - Several pink and light blue french cuff and one white french cuff
First Ties - Navy grenadine, black grenadine, silver/grey grenadine, burgundy grenadine
First Shoes - Black punch cap oxfords, medium brown monks, dark brown brogued derbies

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed. It's all been said before here.
This is probably true for almost anything that can be said about clothes...somewhere on this forum, it's been said and discussed. On one hand, it's nice when someone, instead of creating a new thread, bumps the old thread back (for example, the ticket pocket question). On the other hand, this also means that if everything has been discussed, and people are unwilling to discuss it again (which as a corollary suggests that nothing has changed about their opinions for clothes in some years), the forum becomes just a learning tool rather than a medium for discussion.

WetbehindEars

Reaction score

I'd probably start with some underwear.

That's probably a good idea. Socks, too.

After underwear, I'd start with a medium/dark suit (lighter than charcoal, and perhaps with an interesting weave like herringbone), navy trousers, tan trousers (lighter fabric), light tan blazer, brown captoes (maybe a bit of broguing), plain captoe black shoes, matching bridle leather belts (both with nickel buckles), some driving mocs (or loafers, something casual), as well as 10 or so dress shirts (mostly lighter colors, pink, blue, yellow, green, at least 1 white) with chiselled cuffs and a pointed collar (on the wide side of medium). A couple of basic ties, slim but not thin.

I don't wear a suit daily so I wouldn't need more than 2-3 suits, and I'd definitely start with grey.

Of course, if watches are included in what was lost, the list would grow substantially :)

————————
Sent from the future using Tapatalk 9001.1
————————

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clag, I agree with you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics