• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could go back and do it all again..

Good selection of first 5?

• Yes sir, good choices there. Dad will be very upset.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Either 3/5 or 4/5 are good choices. I'm going to comment to explain this.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't agree with many of those choices, my comment will elaborate.

• "Dad, hand me the red festive one with the turkeys on it, I'm wearing it for my first day!"

• Total voters

Poncho1992

Reaction score
You just came out of university and landed the job, well done! Being the resourceful and proactive individual that you are, you gathered that a navy and charcoal suit would be a good first move along with acquiring black and dark brown shoes. You already have white and light blue dress shirts? Spiffing. Thankfully, your retired father informs you that his lifelong collection of ironic and multi-coloured ties will, in fact, see you through your first few years in business! But just to be sure, Dad, perhaps it's worth getting 5 ties anyway to err on the side of caution. You know, just in case irony and in-your-face neck-wear aren't everyone's cup of tea.

With that said, which 5 ties would you choose? By chance, I am in fact in a very similar situation to yourself and would learn much from hearing your choices. I was thinking navy solid, navy pin dot, burgundy solid, silver solid/small pattern and perhaps a dark brown solid.

To start the proceedings, here are my 5:

I included a poll so I can get a rough collective opinion on my potential ties. If you don't fancy commenting on my own selections, feel free not to. However, if you would be so kind as to post your own 5 in this situation, that would be just dandy.

Oh, and sorry to inform you but your job is in a conservative office.

Last edited:

Balfour

Reaction score
... I was thinking navy solid, navy pin dot, burgundy solid, silver solid/small pattern and perhaps a dark brown solid.

Based on the description alone, rather than the pictures: 3.5 / 5: navy solid; navy pin dot; burgundy solid; silver grey solid (half a point as no pattern).

But different choices to the pictured ties.

There's a thread very similar to this already running: http://www.styleforum.net/t/362758/tie-basics-101/0_50

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd take that last blue and replace it with a blue a little darker and with less sheen, and I'd say that's a very solid starting five.

My starting five (just taken from Hober because it's easier:

For fun, my next 5:

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Because it repeatedly seemed that you were deliberately misinterpreting or misconstruing points as well as bringing in irrelevant information. I could be wrong in this, but that's how a lot of it came across. Hard to tell. You were quite civil with me but less civil with others (who were perhaps less than civil themselves...I sort of scan through bickering and slandering).

And while there is quite a bit of groupthink, many members have been dressing well well before joining SF (I wasn't one of those, though I wasn't poorly dressed either) and have had their biases long before becoming a part of the community. Just as people are too prone to groupthink (they are), when a bunch of people disagree with someone, that person is prone to cry "groupthink."

Regardless, that whole black tie discussion should have ended far more quickly than it did.

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Because it repeatedly seemed that you were deliberately misinterpreting or misconstruing points as well as bringing in irrelevant information. I could be wrong in this, but that's how a lot of it came across. Hard to tell. You were quite civil with me but less civil with others (who were perhaps less than civil themselves...I sort of scan through bickering and slandering).

And while there is quite a bit of groupthink, many members have been dressing well well before joining SF (I wasn't one of those, though I wasn't poorly dressed either) and have had their biases long before becoming a part of the community. Just as people are too prone to groupthink (they are), when a bunch of people disagree with someone, that person is prone to cry "groupthink."

Regardless, that whole black tie discussion should have ended far more quickly than it did.
Thanks for your comments. I think as a general rule, be it here, or on any other internet forum, when a majority that think one way is faced with a minority that offers a differing opinion, that some will be inclined to go the route of calling someone "stupid" or a "troll" (I was called both during yesterday's black tie conversation). If you did look back at that thread, I didn't insult anyone. I merely offer a different opinion, and tried to challenge the opinion I disagree with. I did think styleforum was a place where people could offer differing opinions, about clothes, which we all care about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads