• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I had given myself a hernia, would I know it?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a friend who was doing yoga while smoking a joint. He was in some pose and started coughing - then he felt an intense pain and looked down to see his scrotum full of intestine. This freaked him out so much that he passed out - alone in the house except for his 3 year-old son. When he woke up, his son was crying beside him.

He got onto the computer to look up what he had, so he decided that the best thing to do was get into his inversion machine/rack, turn upside down to let gravity help, and started squeezing his intestines out of his nutsack and back into his abdominal cavity. He then cut a Nerf football in half and sewed it to an ACE wrap - this was his device to wrap around to keep the intestines pushed back in so it could heal up.

True story.

mikej77

Reaction score
I have had two hernias. The last one occurred about two years ago while doing squats. I felt a small pain and then noticed a lump a couple of days later. No big deal, I went in for day surgery and left the hospital about four hours later. I opted for the open surgery because I heard that there is a much higher reoccurrence rate with the laproscopic surgery. Aside from two weeks of pretty severe pain, I still think the worst part was having to shave half of my pubes off, what a fun treat that was. I tried to get the nurses to do it but there were no takers.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
hernias are bad. any doctor if there's one here, will tell you.

Hmm, I was under the impression of quite the opposite. I was made aware of the fact that there could be some complications (strangulation) but was told that it is actually "elective" surgery to get it fixed. Of course, there is the pain.

rxcats

Reaction score
I developed an inguinal hernia when I was a pre-teen. I suspect it was lifting large bags of popcorn kernels at my dad's movie theatre; I used to pop the popcorn there as a kid. I rarely had any pain associated with it, but occasionally would get a dull ache. The hernia was essentially a loop of bowel that would commute from my abdomen to my scrotum. Sometimes it was not noticeable at all and at other times it looked like I had a 3rd testicle. I finally had it diagnosed and surgically corrected when I was in Israel (college). I was in the hospital for several days. The post-op was MUCH more painful than the hernia ever was. It was then that I further developed my fondness for narcotics!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads