• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I had given myself a hernia, would I know it?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was doing some squats today and felt some pain in the lower right side of my abdomen on the last few reps. I noticed a similar pain a few workouts ago, but at the time I thought it may have been due to the waist on my sweatpants being tied too tight - they have a really thick drawstring and it seemed like the knot where they were tied might be pressing into my abdomen.

Pain was in the same spot both times, same type of pain, same sweats both times. Felt it during the deepest part of the squat, otherwise fine. No pain or soreness afterward, no visible lump in the area, and I don't feel anything out of the ordinary. No issues while I was warming up, and I don't feel anything doing bodyweight squats right now.

That said, it was definitely not a soreness type of pain, and it was in a very specific location.

Anyone have any experience with this?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm going to find out for myself tomorrow

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i'm going to find out for myself tomorrow

What is it that makes you think you may have one?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
might it just be an abdominal strain? I get the feeling a hernia would be a debilitating kind of pain, something you'd definitely feel for a while after you stopped working out.

PolePosition

Reaction score
In addition to the lump or squishy feeling at the site of a herniation you should also feel some pain/discomfort when you add pressure to that region by coughing, pooping, etc. Its not something you would feel only by doing a squat. Could be something else but if you don't feel any pain from anything else, it is more than likely not a hernia.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing feels abnormal, no issues coughing or in my morning trip to the bathroom. Guess I'll see how it feels next time I squat.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^i've had what was thought to be a swollen node in my groin that they now belive to be an inguinal hernia. mri with contrast next week

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^scary is what it is. were checking for lymphoma and ****.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I can address this one...

You will have intermittent (great) pain while walking and just generally going about your business. It will feel like a severe stitch, just lower.

In my case, I had been complaining about occasional pain 'down there' for maybe a year, then one day I was in the shower, scrubbing myself as you do, when I found a giant lump about 2 inches north-east of ********.

This scared the hell out of me. Finding lumps is not a good thing, and you immediately think the worst.

Showed my then-gf, who took me to the doctors immediately, who poked and prodded and said 'well Mattie, youve got a hernia'. This was basically good news, given what I was fearing.

Had surgery a few weeks later to patch it up, and ya, that hurt. Very uncomfortable, had me in hospital for 3 nights (early morning surgery, so went in the night before, then 2 nights rest afterwards). I was then laid up for over a week, the first few days of which I could barely sit up - mostly because of the location of the surgery, sitting up pulled and stretched that area, and hurt like hell.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
from wht my friend told me, when it comes down and into ur sac, you may not notice it right away etc. but if it comes out of your stomach you would immediately notice it.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I can address this one...

You will have intermittent (great) pain while walking and just generally going about your business. It will feel like a severe stitch, just lower.

In my case, I had been complaining about occasional pain 'down there' for maybe a year, then one day I was in the shower, scrubbing myself as you do, when I found a giant lump about 2 inches north-east of ********.

This scared the hell out of me. Finding lumps is not a good thing, and you immediately think the worst.

Showed my then-gf, who took me to the doctors immediately, who poked and prodded and said 'well Mattie, youve got a hernia'. This was basically good news, given what I was fearing.

Had surgery a few weeks later to patch it up, and ya, that hurt. Very uncomfortable, had me in hospital for 3 nights (early morning surgery, so went in the night before, then 2 nights rest afterwards). I was then laid up for over a week, the first few days of which I could barely sit up - mostly because of the location of the surgery, sitting up pulled and stretched that area, and hurt like hell.

I was in in the morning and out by lunch. Your description sounds similar to my experience but for the lenght of time in the hospital.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
Yeah, I can't believe they kept you in the hospital for three days. I had my surgery around 10:00am and was out by 2:00.

It depends. Most hernia operations at my hospital are same day procedures.

Sometimes we keep the patients for a day or two.

Same goes for several other operations.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Ya, I was supposed to be two nights, but they did my surgery at like 6 am so put me in the night before and wheeled me straight on over in the morning. It was then 2 nights after - and they did let me out in the morning, so it was more like surgery day + one full day recovery time in the hospital. To be honest, I couldn't imagine doing it day-surgery style. Was so painful afterwards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads