• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'd appreciate views on partially lined jackets

horton

Reaction score
Are they only for warmer weather?

I've heard people say they get caught on sweaters (if layering); is this true?

Are they by necessity less formal?

Do they drape any differently?

Much thanks

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have a navy pinstripe from Oxxford with a partially lined jacket. It is good for year round wear here in Atlanta, but probably not Boston. I feel the extra handwork and resulting lightness add to the artisan quality and lightness/comfort of the jacket.

I don't feel they are any less formal since the lining is not really in view. I think draping might be slightly better given the lightness but it really depends on the weight of the fabric.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love 'em.

Better for warmer weather.

Don't get caught in sweaters, but wearing a sweater with an unlined coat seems a bit incongruous, like a 3pc summer suit.

Not any less formal and drape will depend, as AF suggests, on the fabric and construction. Some fabrics like Cashmere don't work well without a lining. Making an unlined coat is more difficult (and costly) than hiding unfinished seams under a lining so you rarely see cheap suits with unlined jackets.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Works best with heavier, yet porous, cloth. Light cloth will not drape well enough. Heavy, dense cloth will, but it will be hot, so what's the point? Mohair, fresco and linen are the best bets.

Tuerney1

Reaction score
I tried on a couple of partially lined heavier weight wool jackets (not sure why they had them in stock...but thought it would be fun) and didn't see the point.

On the other hand, I have a mohair zegna that's only partially lined, and it's probably my favorite warm-weather sportcoat. For warm weather fabrics, I think they're great.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think partially lined is only for summer, I do have a cotton khaki suit partially lined and a blue cotton/linen hopsack blazer...

Tuerney1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
I think partially lined is only for summer, I do have a cotton khaki suit partially lined and a blue cotton/linen hopsack blazer...

For Boston (location of the original poster...if memory serves), I think that's true. In warmer climates, at least these days, I think quite a few allowances are made. My east coast wardrobe is quite heavy for Southern California, for instance, and I find myself wearing lighter fabrics and partially lined jackets almost year round (save for the few rainy/cool months of winter).
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I thought linen with half lining was a bad idea? Hmm.
Italian handkerchief linen maybe. But Irish 10 ounce or above works great unlined.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tuerney1
For Boston (location of the original poster...if memory serves), I think that's true. In warmer climates, at least these days, I think quite a few allowances are made. My east coast wardrobe is quite heavy for Southern California, for instance, and I find myself wearing lighter fabrics and partially lined jackets almost year round (save for the few rainy/cool months of winter).
smile.gif

You are lucky to have a yearlong summer !
smile.gif

Tuerney1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
You are lucky to have a yearlong summer !
smile.gif

It has some definite advantages.
smile.gif

Although I do miss being able to wear heavier fabrics, layers and especially tweeds.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I have some partially lined tweed sportcoats (Norman Hilton and Brooks Bros.), and I love 'em, although I don't know that there's a particular benefit to it. For summer wear the benefits are obvious.

As for formality, partial lining is a trademark of Oxxford on even their most formal business dress.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Italian handkerchief linen maybe. But Irish 10 ounce or above works great unlined.

I have a half-lined linen-cotton blend. It works there.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When the fabric is heavy enough to drape without a lining (10 oz. fresco or 14 oz. linen), completely unlined jackets are cooler than quarter lined. You need to take more care to put your arms in the sleeves since there is no lining to help you slide through, but there is better air circulation around your arms on very warm days.

Unlined jackets are probably only available bespoke. MTM tends to stop at quarter lining because no lining at all requires more sewing to finish the seams.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I have a half-lined linen-cotton blend. It works there.

Same. I also have navy borrelli half-lined jacket of what I'm guessing to be 7.5oz cashmere that is great. I love it b/c I really can wear it year-round.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads