• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ice Hockey

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Blake isn't overrated, Anaheim definitely won that deal. Isn't his cap hit about 4mil? Totally worth it, though should've gone to a playoff-bound team.

I disagree. If the league were to continue the "zero tolerance" on off the puck interference, then yes. His big years were the first few after the lockout...now that some of the interference is allowed (although they say its still zero tolerance, thats bs...they call about 1 in 4 on a good night) he's far from that same player who earned that big contract. Plus TO got a number 1 goalie out of it, and he'll be happy being back with Alaire.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rangers supposedly getting Jokinnen and Prust for Kotalik and Higgins...I think guys like Higgins and Jokinnen are bound to fail in NY. These are guys whose value is more in their hard work than in their scoring, and these players have typically floundered in NY where they are expected to play more offensive roles. Bobby Holik was another that came to mind, lets hope we can manage expectations if this does go through. Chris Drury kind of fits that too, although the media here and the fans haven't turned on him, probably because of what a nice guy he is, and that he was named capt.

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blake isn't overrated, Anaheim definitely won that deal. Isn't his cap hit about 4mil? Totally worth it, though should've gone to a playoff-bound team.

you're crazy. Toronto definitely won on this deal... they got rid of Toskala who has NO VALUE as a rental and traded away Blake who many deemed as untradeable due to his contract. Leafs get giguere who will be better than toskala without a doubt, a good mentor for the monster and he comes off the book after next year which gives them the flexibility in 2011-2012 season to decide what to do.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone thing the Rangers are positioning themselves to go after Kovalchuk if the Kotalik trade goes through?

Kotalik=3 mil per year (2 more years)
Higgins=~2 mil per (rest free agent)

Jokinnen= 5.25 mil, but a free agent after this year

If we can dump Redden or Rozival it can happen...but I think as well as a scorer we desperately need a tough defenseman.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vashin
you're crazy. Toronto definitely won on this deal... they got rid of Toskala who has NO VALUE as a rental and traded away Blake who many deemed as untradeable due to his contract. Leafs get giguere who will be better than toskala without a doubt, a good mentor for the monster and he comes off the book after next year which gives them the flexibility in 2011-2012 season to decide what to do.
Okay leafs homer. If you weren't from TO I could take your perspective seriously, but... no. From an actual unbiased perspective, the Ducks won this deal. They did not want Giguere. The Ducks have already settled on Hiller as their starter. This deal relieves them of a headache in exchange for a cheaper but still serviceable backup tender, and gets them a fast guy who can put the puck in the net (I would think he would end up with Bobby Ryan and Koivu). The question of who won the Phaneuf deal, meanwhile, is still open, and depends on whether or not he becomes a top 5 NHL d-man in the next few years. Also on how well Calgary does down the stretch this year. NYR, what are you talking about, big contract? The guy has a cap hit of 4 million. Not exactly heavy for someone who can play on a top line if he actually has anyone to play with. Look at what you pay Michael Roszival, for Christ's sakes.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

NYR, what are you talking about, big contract? The guy has a cap hit of 4 million. Not exactly heavy for someone who can play on a top line if he actually has anyone to play with. Look at what you pay Michael Roszival, for Christ's sakes.

4 million is a lot for a guy like Blake...and I believe he makes more the later he goes into his contract. And 4 million, not worth it. His new division is tough, with a lot of bruising teams...he won't get to play Mtl, Buff, and Ottawa 6 times each. I think he is an overrated player. Don't get me started on Rozy, and Redden either.

KenN

Reaction score
The Ducks/Leafs deal is win-win for both teams.

The Ducks needed to get rid of their expensive backup goaltender.
The Ducks needed a replacement for their expensive backup goaltender.
The Leafs needed a goaltender that is better than #35.
The Leafs needed to get rid of #55 (for salary and performance-based reasons)

On paper, the Ducks win this deal because they got a scorer and saved some money in goal. However from Toronto's perspective, they improved their goaltending and ditched an aging forward that was not living up to expectations.

Overall, the Ducks gained two pieces without losing anything of value. And the Leafs improved in net, but lost a goal scorer. However, I don't think anyone is crying over Blake.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, they really pump that Maple Leafs Kool Aid through the pipes of Toronto, huh...

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Man, they really pump that Maple Leafs Kool Aid through the pipes of Toronto, huh...

Won't be long until Vancouver whines about tampering again.

limester816

Reaction score
Anyone been watching the beanpot? We (BC) have to play BU again in the finals... ugh. We see them so much the rivalry becomes almost tiresome.

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay leafs homer. If you weren't from TO I could take your perspective seriously, but... no.

From an actual unbiased perspective, the Ducks won this deal. They did not want Giguere. The Ducks have already settled on Hiller as their starter. This deal relieves them of a headache in exchange for a cheaper but still serviceable backup tender, and gets them a fast guy who can put the puck in the net (I would think he would end up with Bobby Ryan and Koivu).

The question of who won the Phaneuf deal, meanwhile, is still open, and depends on whether or not he becomes a top 5 NHL d-man in the next few years. Also on how well Calgary does down the stretch this year.

NYR, what are you talking about, big contract? The guy has a cap hit of 4 million. Not exactly heavy for someone who can play on a top line if he actually has anyone to play with. Look at what you pay Michael Roszival, for Christ's sakes.

dude it's not just me look at what other people are saying:

" Great deal. Fantastic deal. A perfect deal. Forget about whether this trade works for the Ducks or not. From the Leafs perspective, it's a masterpiece.

The Leafs improved their weakest position and their cap situation in one deal. Yes, they take on an extra $2M next year. But this team won't be good enough to compete until at least 2011-12, and having a 39-year-old Jason Blake and his $4M off the cap that year is a huge win.

What's the absolute worst-case scenario here? If Giguere is every bit as bad as Toskala, the Leafs are stuck with him for one full year. If he's borderline average, the Leafs will have a cup-winning goalie to dangle at next year's deadline."

and if by a guy who can score you mean on pace for 15 goals/37 pts... then you got your guy.

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing the devil's aren't done buying just yet... they gonna try to go for the cup

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads