• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ice Hockey

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah, I hadn't really read up on yesterday's news and didn't know about Gabby. I'm not saying I'm glad he's hurt, but if he went on to be healthy from now on, I'd be pissed.

And yes, that hit was nasty, reminescent of Ty Domi's horrible and infamous elbow on Niedermeyer.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
No word on whether he's hurt or how bad yet, Torts basically said the game was out of reach (they had a 3 goal lead) and he didn't want to take any chances. But it's Gaborik so the rumours must fly. Domi was just a dirty player though, Bure was tired of getting roughed up in that series and just lost his head. Canucks have an interesting history of hits during the 90s playoffs, though none more memorable than Linden vs. Norton vs. The first 2 rows of the Coliseum:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. See when everyone was talking up the Lucic hit last year, that one really didn't get enough airtime. Simply the best glass-shattering play ever, and in the playoffs no less.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May

Domi was just a dirty player though, Bure was tired of getting roughed up in that series and just lost his head.

I agree. I was just talking about the severity of each hit.

See when everyone was talking up the Lucic hit last year, that one really didn't get enough airtime. Simply the best glass-shattering play ever, and in the playoffs no less.
For reasons I don't understand, the NHL (and possibly the media) react astoundingly differently to each big hit. How is it that one player can be suspended 4 games and another suspended 16 for what amount to being the same infractions? If coaches, analysts, and players can't figure it out, I sure as hell can't.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Little chippy things like biting fingers or whatever show a lack of class, but suspension should be reserved for actual dangerous play that contravenes the rules. The degree of seriousness should be based on the player's history and the intent apparent, and not the seriousness of the resulting injury. This should all be evaluated within the reality of the game...

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
and what about groin puncher Crosby?

Wha.....?!!

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Little chippy things like biting fingers or whatever show a lack of class, but suspension should be reserved for actual dangerous play that contravenes the rules. The degree of seriousness should be based on the player's history and the intent apparent, and not the seriousness of the resulting injury. This should all be evaluated within the reality of the game...

I disagree with the bold area, at least in part. These are grown men who must be held accountable for their actions, whether it was in the heat of the moment or not. For example, when Matthius Ohlund (sp?) landed a two-handed ax chop to Mikko Koivu and snapped Koivu's leg, Ohlund was suspended four games. Koivu, on the other hand, was out for twenty-something games. So why does Ohlund get to come back after something so viscious that cost Koivu so much playing time? As far as I'm concerned, there should be set guidelines for the different infractions with minimum suspensions plus additional matching time if the injured player is unable to return by the end of the suspension. I'm sure Ohlund didn't like sitting out four games, but it would have sent a much stronger message if he'd had to sit out +/-24 games to match the time out from Koivu. What comes around....

KenN

Reaction score
and what about groin puncher Crosby?

Crosby is a whiny whimp, he will never be legendary until he learns to man up.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenN
Crosby is a whiny whimp, he will never be legendary until he learns to man up.

IMO, he can't become "legendary" while Ovechkin is still in the league. And I don't think he can even become legendary as only the second best player on his own team!

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad injury luck for the canucks!

Luongo is now out with an unspecified injury.

First the leading goal-scorer in Daniel Sedin, then the top PP d-man in Salo (not surprising), now the top goalie.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luongo hairline crack on his ribs. Not good for my fantasy team.

KenN

Reaction score
Rolex should make Mike Ribeiro their spokesperson.
Best diver. Ever.

KenN

Reaction score
IMO, he can't become "legendary" while Ovechkin is still in the league. And I don't think he can even become legendary as only the second best player on his own team!

Those penguins, what a bunch of figure skaters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads