• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IC: dior chelsea boots

2344fgh

Reaction score
hey, brand new, not even tried on. size 44. how much would you pay? 750USD.
L10774172.jpg

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'll probably pass at full retail. don't like the shape at that price. I could be persuade at maybe $175.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear them if they were free
frown.gif

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
price-quality comparisons aside, why would you not wear them 'even if free'? They're look like a reasonably ordinary pair of boots
shog[1].gif

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
I wouldn't wear them if they were free
So let me get this straight...this guy, a fellow forum member (and a new member at that), is trying to see if he can sell these (nice) boots...and you feel especially obligated to come into his thread and trash his boots? I'm sorry, I don't get it.

I know I'm still relatively new here...but I am a veteran of a number of other (unrelated) online forums. And I simply don't understand the absolute lack of good manners that I constantly find in this "Style" forum... or aren't good manners considered part of good style? So many members here, many of them well established, seem to go out of their way to make obnoxious cracks about items of clothing, shoes, etc. that have been posted by fellow forum members. If something (or someone) doesn't agree with their sense of style it's very much considered to be "fair game"...

I'm a moderator at a well-established knife forum. We have 13,000 members...and we're known to be the class act of the various knife forums. We would never tolerate the sort of behavior that I so often find here. If someone was showing a knife...and especially if he was trying to sell it...and a fellow member were to make a disparaging remark, such as the above comment, that member would be warned not to do it again. If he continued such behavior he would be banned.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but where I come from this type of thing is, simply put... BAD MANNERS! Not to mention, damn inconsiderate of a fellow forum member. If you don't like the boots and feel you must say something, would it be so terribly hard to think of some comment that's positive and/or constructive? Otherwise, why not keep your negative thoughts to yourself.

If you really want to take pot shots at Dior Chelsea boots, then start your own thread and make all the cracks you want. That's the way we would handle it in our knife forums. But then maybe we have more "style" than you guys.

Having said all that... I think these boots are handsome.

Dennis

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
i'll probably pass at full retail. don't like the shape at that price. I could be persuade at maybe $175.

ahh, I missed the IC. I'm not actually interested in these boots, I'm just suggesting what I think I might buy them at, if I was in the market for black chelsea boots (I'm not - I have approximatley 10-15 good quality or better unworn shoes lurking in my apartment). I'm not taking this to be an actual offer, or such. If it is, my apologies.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the original post. He is ambiguous.

Frittata

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Osprey Guy

If you really want to take pot shots at Dior Chelsea boots, then start your own thread and make all the cracks you want. That's the way we would handle it in our knife forums. But then maybe we have more "style" than you guys.

Probably you are right that some posts are unpolite.
But: you generalize based on some few posts and conclude that a knife forum is superior to us.
You even try to educate us in dealing with this attitude.
Is this polite and gentleman like?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I don't understand the original post. He is ambiguous.

yeah, i originally thought he was asking how much he should pay for them.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
But: you generalize based on some few posts and conclude that a knife forum is superior to us.
You even try to educate us in dealing with this attitude.
Is this polite and gentleman like?
My comments are hardly based on only a few posts! This sort of thing runs rampant here in the Style forum. And it has bothered me immensely since the very first day that I dropped in on thid forum. At first I thought it was just a fluke...but then I realized that it was commonplace. Apparently, if there are active moderators, they either don't care or don't bother to correct such widespread, impolite behaviour (at least none that I've ever seen). I belong to over half-a-dozen forums...and none of them would permit someone coming into another member's thread and make derogatory comments.

If the member who started this thread had instead asked "What do you think of these boots?" with a link to a pair that is on sale elsewhere, then it would be perfectly acceptable for less-than-favorable comments to be made (hopefully, in a gentleman-like way). But this fellow owns these boots and is obviously testing the waters in the hope of selling them. He certainly isn't looking for anyone to dump on his boots, in his own "for sale" thread.

As for your suggestion that I am saying a "knife" forum is superior in any way to this forum (heaven forbid)...When it comes to common courtesy...from what I have observed over the past couple of months in this forum...yes, I am most certainly suggesting that the knife-related forum is indeed superior. In that forum we make every effort to conduct ourselves like gentleman at all times. And we have found that courtesy is contagious.

Am I trying to educate? Perhaps. Or perhaps I'm simply speaking up, because others are not...

Is it polite and gentleman-like for me to chastise those who behave in such a way? I suppose you think that it would be more polite for me to sit back and say nothing?
thinking.gif

Dennis

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Osprey Guy
...where I come from this type of thing is, simply put... BAD MANNERS! Not to mention, damn inconsiderate...

Very good points, Dennis. I too feel that disparaging remarks should be kept out of Sales threads.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Osprey Guy, I agree that making disparaging remarks in others' sales thread is generally poor manners. Not saying it should always be discouraged though, for extreme cases exist where buyers are too informed.

In any case, if you are so fixated on "gentleman-like" behavior, Ask Andy might be a better fit. Personally, I don't mind the brutal honesty often displayed on SF, for the subsequent flows of information (from SF members' vast collective knowledge) and unintentional(or not) humor always deliver.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
In any case, if you are so fixated on "gentleman-like" behavior
I don't know about "fixated'... But I certainly do think it "sucks" bigtime (who says I can't be eloquent), when someone comes into another person's thread and trashes whatever it is they're trying to sell or promote.

Either you agree with this...or you don't. I really don't see how you can have it both ways.

I'm not trying to be some sort of "Miss Manners"...I'm not that uptight. But from what I've seen, this "Style" forum could use an occasional reminder of what it means to conduct oneself with style. If there were moderators around here doing their job (as in most every other other forum on the net) then there probably wouldn't be a need for someone like me to feel so compelled to speak up about such things.
nest.gif

Dennis

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads