• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I write a beginners mens style blog that recently turned up in SF's worst style blog post. Help me i

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What if you changed the blog from an advice blog to a personal progress blog? We can all watch your evolution as you learn.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What if you changed the blog from an advice blog to a personal progress blog? We can all watch your evolution as you learn.

Was just thinking the same. Make it more of a "I'm working on my style, here is what I've been learning as I go."

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They grew out of helping people get into med school, which later became a small side-project/microbusiness, and then the books came along. As you can tell from the humble Sales Ranks, they're never going to keep me in suits! Still, one of the them does sometimes bounce around in the top 1000 during peak months, which is nice. I'll suggest the Auto Repair one to the Ed next; it's more or less like cardiology, right? ;)

Guarantee you get exponentially more traffic than the last manuscript I wrote :)

OP: I look at what you are doing as disseminating information. In my line of work, I cannot just think of an idea, voice my opinion, and expect full reception. I first need to review the literature, decide if what I bring up has some clinical relevance and efficacy, and present my findings effectively to my target audience. I think you have an idea with your blog but more thought might be put into the entries.

I do understand that one of the goals of your blog is to keep clothing costs to a minimum so that will provide a challenge to the keen eyes of SF. However, when you use yourself as a test subject, you are walking across the firing range. Maybe include pictures of how clothing should fit right from stock pics and just have other pics of articles of clothing that you think is applicable. It may be less painful when it is not a picture of you that is being talked about.

Anyway, good luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

My apologies for being so late in replying. I honestly didn't believe it would garner any more responses and I've been in the field for the past few weeks.

I have put a hold on any further blog posts until I've redefined exactly what it is I hope to write and contribute and have taken most of the advice rendered here into consideration (minus the few of you who just chose to be dicks).

As for dispensing advice without being an expert myself, I can certainly see why that would be of concern. But my audience isn't men who are already dressing well, but almost entirely men who own nothing but jeans and cargo pants and think dressing up means putting on a polo. I obviously have much room to progress my self (and trust me, that tuxedo was gotten rid of. I hung onto it because I couldn't bear buying a new one, but it really was comically oversized- picked up a shawl collar tuxedo from J Crew in my size and had it tailored to fit me [sleeves]) but what I'm trying to convey is the absolute bare minimums of going from sloppy to smart.

That being said, I am going to work to reduce the amount of advice, stick with more pictures (with better fits) and offer suggestions as opposed to definitive rules or advice.

I certainly wasn't asking for StyleForums permission to continue blogging, nor was I shocked someone disagreed with/didn't like my blog. It was more that since the criticism came from here, I wanted to here from the horses mouth what they thought I could improve. To those of you who replied with suggestions, I really do appreciate it.

Respectfully,

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kind of do think you need to be, not an expert so much but still very knowledgeable before you can start giving advice to beginners, if your not too far off it yourself as you say.

I'll try to put it in a different context, being a fly fisherman, and that being a fairly technical past time tht requires a lot of learning & tuition.

When I was a beginner and seeking advice from a guide, or even a magazine, youtube etc on learning how to cast, fly selection etc etc I certainly wasn't looking to other beginners for that advice. I looked at experts, professional guides and the like. Why wouldn't you? I do like the suggestion of the personal progress blog and that's something to think about. One thing I've always learned, is you learn more by fishing with better fisherman, and the same analogy can be used across most sports, careers and lives fairly generally.

All the best in any case.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That mollifies the angry masses somewhat.

The concern with advising beginners is that the latter are more easily misled (can't tell good advice from bad), can be more discouraged easily (impractical advice makes them feel they're trapped), and tend to have less disposable income, so that there arguably is more of a duty to do well when advising beginners.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
HF, is the tie in your Amazon picture Drakes? I think I have the same one.

Yeah, it is, lol. Only someone from this board would notice that. Good eye!
laugh.gif

(sorry not to reply sooner; didn't read this thread again until it got bumped by the OP earlier today).

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice to see someone humbly take some criticism and try to improve with it. Good for you.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't want to watch him learn and his blog crashed my browser. Read it for me pal.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He hasn't logged on to SF in over 3 months or updated his blog since January. I think he's done.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might I suggest your next series of posts? Perhaps something like "Finding a Fit." I would say go to a thrift shop, pick up 3-4 suits or jackets of different silhouettes, and of slightly different sizes, at and around your own size. Find a good alterations tailor in your area, and post before, after, and, if the tailor will oblige, during alteration photos. I might start with that tuxedo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads