Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I write a beginners mens style blog that recently turned up in SF's worst style blog post. Help me i

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by WaistcoatWonder, Feb 3, 2013.

1. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Most of the colorful pants look bad, especially in winter. (Burgundy is an exception.) Also, contrast collar dress shirt with a long tie and no jacket - fail.

That sums it up - except that almost no bloggers, no matter how practiced they are, should be giving advice to others. It's very unfair to the public, who often don't realize they are being told misinformation. Is it an ego/money thing that so many style bloggers act like experts?

2. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Thanks for this link...LOL! You made my afternoon.

OP, I still didn't go to your blog, but those pictures in the "terrible fashion blog thread" are hilarious. Some of those comments are GOLD. You have no business being near a camera, computer or anything else that could be used to intentionally or accidentally create a fashion/style blog.
    + infinity

3. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Come on guys, the man is trying to get better. Give constructive criticism if you want, but don't be a dick about it. None of us here are perfect either.

4. manchambo

manchambo Senior member

Am I the only one who questions the value of someone who knows nothing about style blogging about style? This is one of the things that bothers me most about the interwebs and reality tv culture. If you don't know about something shut up about it. Don't write a blog to disseminate your ignorance hither and yon.

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

well, none of us (at least most of us) are not writing blogs giving fashion advice either.

That said, I agree, i think the OP means well, and if he changed his site into more of a "i'm learning how to dress better, heres what I felt worked, heres what i could improve on, you judge for yourself" blog, I think the reaction would be much better.

Seems OP is into thrifting and what not. Could example of a blog on this is oregetix or whatever his name is. Most of his stuff is thrifted, but it fits well.

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Fair, but then just don't read it. This is a problem that goes far beyond clothing. But ask the newspapers, you aren't putting that genie back in the bottle.

It does require that people's bullshit-meters be a bit more finely tuned than before when there were barriers of entry to folks who weren't "experts". But let's not forget that a lot of good has come out of the popularization of self-publishing (and I use that term very broadly to include blogs, forums, twitter, facebook, etc). This forum would not exist otherwise.

This here is constructive criticism and is totally fair game. I'm not saying don't criticize the man--clearly, there is a lot of bad stuff on that blog. But just saying "lol this guy sux, stay away from teh intarwebz n00b" does not contribute to anything positive.

7. manchambo

manchambo Senior member

I agree but would simply point out that there's another facet of this problem. Here we have a person who admittedly doesn't know about style, but nevertheless has started a blog about style and not only expects people to read it, but is surprised and horrified when people make fun of it. We aren't all special flowers and in particular, we don't all have special and valuable things to say about everything. How did so many people come to suspect otherwise?

8. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Further yet, a baggy velvet odd jacket with satin facings, notch lapels and pocket flaps is stretching the definition of 'tuxedo' to the point of bursting.

The enthusiasm is to be applauded but there is a lot of spot-on critique in this thread that if followed could improve the blog exponentially.

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013

10. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

...sums up this thread nicely. [​IMG]

11. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

I shouldn't let it worry you. You know what they say, in for a penny, in for a pound.

12. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I don't mean to be harsh but some might find it really presumptuous for a self-avowed beginner to set about dispensing style advice. But I should probably check out your blog first.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

HF, is the tie in your Amazon picture Drakes? I think I have the same one.

14. suited

suited Senior member

15. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

^^ well played