• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I ordered Scabal MTM Suit

Siggy

Reaction score
Since there appears to be very little info available on Scabal's suits and MTM offerings, I thought I'd mention my experience ordering one of their MTM suits.

In case some are not aware, Scabal is mostly known for being a top notch fabric maker, and many bespoke customers use their fabric, as does Brioni. They are based out of Brussels but fabric is from England and the MTM tailoring is done at their facilities in Saarbruecken, Germany. They also offer ready-to-wear, at least in Germany (and I think at their London store).

My fitting was done by a visiting Scabal tailor at a shop in Germany that carries Scabal products. Surprisingly, unless specified otherwise the suits are only half canvassed. I had to specify that I want full canvass (klar!). Fitting began by the tailor taking my measurements at chest, gut, seat etc. and then I tried on a Scabal suit jacket in my general size to go from there. Using the jacket and my measurements as a base, the tailor pinned the jacket around the back so that it would lie flat, and pinned in the sides to give an idea of the waist suppression I wanted. From the base jacket he also will be opening the quarters, raising the armholes, adjusting the shoulders, and slimming the waist and the arms of the jacket. I also specified the jacket length and arm length and some other details. The trousers did not require much change. The tailor also measured my suit trousers that I was wearing for the foot opening and length.

I chose a two button navy pinstriped suit. Fabric is Scabal super 120 worsted, at about 9 or 10 ounces (my guess, cause it is in grams I think). The jacket fully canvassed, notched lapel, side vents, hacking pockets, with burgundy jacket lining and same color undercollar felt. Buttons are a brownish cut horn. Trousers are flat front with 4 cm cuffs (I like cuffs). The suit should arrive for my inspection in about 3 weeks. I'll let you all know how it works out.

highball

Reaction score
Suit sounds very nice. Price point? And do they come to the US or have tailors here that offer their MTM line?

I've always been curious how fabric makers structure their a MTM businesses. I.e. is it all done through local tailors, or do they typically have tailors on staff for MTM purposes. I've done H&S MTM and it wasn't clear whether I was being measured by their tailor, or someone who was brought in and was just using H&S fabrics.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scabal has both MTM and RTW in HK. But I think their MTM is done by local tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads