• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate Christmas

acole

Reaction score
Ah, Festivus...
smile.gif
Have we ever discussed the truly parlous state of Seinfeld's wardrobe? I've never seen such awful, flimsy collars on a dress shirt, for instance. Xmas always puts me in a weird position. As a lapsed Methodist, I have absolutely no use for metaphysics; yet it's the secular facelift the holiday has received that I find most obnoxious. The surreal commercial frenzy, the pre-packaged empty sentiments (in today's mail: a computer-generated Xmas card from State Farm Insurance?.?), and the laxative, emasculated, PC music piped through store speakers all frequently leave me with the urge to maim. My own countermeasures have included: --shopping on eBay, Amazon, etc. instead of stores --a return to sane gift-giving (our extended family does a secret name-drawing thing in which each person gets ONE gift from ONE other person) --killing my television (OK, not for everyone, but life's been pretty good with the home theater, DVDs from Netflix, and not so much as a second of Faux News.) --recalling and reveling in the old European cultural expressions of Xmas. Before there were tasteless cookies sprinkled with neon-dyed sugar or Safeway pasteurized eggnog in the gallon carton, there were Lebkuchen and Glühwein and gebrannte Mandeln. Long before Sleighride and Jingle Bell Rock were conceived for our perpetual torment (and before nervous social arbiters focused on the religious specificity of lyrics over the universality of melody), there were people like Praetorius and Bach cranking out breathtakingly gorgeous music that is now almost criminally neglected. If you're sick to death of department-store muzak, buy this CD and turn it up to 11. If that fails to inspire you, please check for a pulse. Then help keep music like this alive by attending a concert or two (plug plug plug). OK, all done with the non-fashion-related rambling now.
biggrin.gif

rsp1

Reaction score
I am very happy that Hanukka was early this year.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get angry with Christmas.  Get even.

Have you thought about taking up:

shoplifting?
dangerous driving?
paying off debt?
matinees?
reading Henry Miller?
asking a girl out in your nice clothes you already have?
Maybe I'll re-read Tropic of Cancer. Far less depressing than thinking about buying another cashmere freakin sweater.

Reaction score
acole, that was funny.

what's been annoying me since the festive season started are the loud, obnonxious hoons who shout out crude and vulgar things as they drive past.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
here Then rent "It's a Wonderful Life", oh grumpy one. I admit I've fought it with many of the same contentions all of you have expressed the last 2 years. But Christmas also causes people to treat one another for one month of the year like they should the other 11. IMO that's a great thing and it raises the energy of the planet (the Christian third of it anyway).

Mike

Reaction score
Thanks Steve. {Although you have to delete the extra http:// in the link} I wanted to post the shpiel about the Grinch's heart being 2 sizes too small but couldn't remember the exact words to it.

I love Christmas time. Yeah, the stores are a mad house. I try to avoid 'em. I always try to get something for people that they are really going to use or something really personal. That way its not just some wasted item but a real "gift" that they will enjoy and cherish for a long time. Christmas is a time for family for me, we've always had a big Christmas Eve celebration in the Polish style of my great-grandparents, who immigrated from there and who passed the traditions down to my grandparents and who passed them down to my parents and to me. Its not all about the bullshit, but about connecting with your fellow man. "Peace on earth and goodwill to man." Pity it only lasts a month out of the year.

I second Steve's recommendation of "Its A Wonderful Life," and add "A Charlie Brown Christmas" to those who can appreciate a little tug at the old heart strings. "Love, Actually" to the couples, as well since its a good date movie.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else thought that Alexis is really the guy in the background of her avatar and his real name is Alex?

stevo
What is he doing standing in the background then, what a fool.

There are no sales going on, so expect to pay ridiculous full prices for everything. The best items at retail have been completely picked over. Mobs of people crowd the stores and cause traffic congestion.

You know what is so good about Christmas, the after New Year sale at Harrod's....now that is something to look forward to on the 2nd.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Thanks Steve. {Although you have to delete the extra http:// in the link}

Sorry about that- fixed.

Second the rec on Love, Actually. Great Movie.

Another tip on the malls is to go early or late because everyone has extended hours. And I'm seeing tons of sales.

Pedro

Reaction score
If you don't like christmas, you should read "Skipping Christmas" by John Grisham.

It's a funny book about the "social pressure" around christmas

johnw86

Reaction score
As bad as driving to the shopping centers and fighting the crowds are, what's really driving me nuts is the move to lengthen the Christmas music season--one of the radio stations woke me on Nov. 8 with "Santa Claus is Coming to town" and the announcement that they were playing non-stop Christmas music through the Holiday season. I mean, c'mon...I was just getting over Halloween. It must be stopped.
devil.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a matter of minor interest, my grandfather, Jack Okey, was the Art Director for "It's a Wonderful Life."

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I second Steve's recommendation of "Its A Wonderful Life," and add "A Charlie Brown Christmas" to those who can appreciate a little tug at the old heart strings. "Love, Actually" to the couples, as well since its a good date movie.
My favorite Christmas movie is "Die Hard".

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My favorite Christmas movie is "Die Hard".
59 INT. SERVICE ELEVATOR - NIGHT 59 Hans, Takagi, Karl and Tony. Riding silently. Hans alone seems relaxed. He whistles. We recognize it as a snatch of Wagner. HANS Nice suit. John Philips...London? Takagi stares at him, speechless. HANS (smiles) I have two myself. (beat, as he exits
smile.gif
I'm told Arafat shops there too...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads