• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I got ripped on a recent purchase, Am I screwed?

Uomo Di Fretti

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I'm sorry it happened to you fretti, but scammers are out there. There is a reason why "caveat emptor" is in Latin and not modern English; this **** happening isn't new.

I doubt you have much recourse honestly, because YOU verified the wire transfer and it was legitimately sent and received. A similar thing happened with an item I sold once; the buyer paid via paypal, but forgot a letter in my email address and paid the wrong guy. Luckily, he refunded, but Paypal themselves could do nothing about it as it was an authorized transfer. If the guy who received the money did want to refund, there was really nothing that could have been done. It's up to you to check/verify/research before submitting.

Nevertheless, given that you have the person's real name and bank account information, my guess is you could open a complaint with the Police or possibly the FBI (or some such law enforcement agency).

An expensive lesson learned, but just that.

And that's a smart thing to do in this day and age? Trust is fine and all... but trust and verify. Also, "cover your ass."

I am a very infrequent poster here so please accept my apologies for not displaying the required amount of awe (see: custom member level, prof. fabulous thread, etc.) that you are posting in my threads but once again, I'm looking for advice on where to go from here. A summation of all the things that could have been done differently is neither on-topic, nor helpful at this point in the cluster.

Though the whole Prof. Fabulous thing was quite impressive!
smack.gif

Uomo Di Fretti

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I would try looking up the relevant bit of the USC, quoting it to him, and then threatening to press charges unless he gives you your money back. Because at the end of the day you're more interested in that than in having him convicted of something.

I have a feeling she may still be listening to my voicemails since the bank said she denied the reversal of the tranfer before they had even informed her of it so I'll defintely give this a try. It's better than the fistfull of nothing I'm working with right now.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uomo Di Fretti
I am a very infrequent poster here so please accept my apologies for not displaying the required amount of awe (see: custom member level, prof. fabulous thread, etc.) that you are posting in my threads but once again, I'm looking for advice on where to go from here. A summation of all the things that could have been done differently is neither on-topic, nor helpful at this point in the cluster. Though the whole Prof. Fabulous thing was quite impressive!
smack.gif

Fair point and sorry if I seemed to be piling it on. Nevertheless, I DID mention some possible recourse, but also wanted to spell out some other potential difficulties you may have given a similar circumstance I had (with the buyer who input my paypal information incorrectly). I organized my post not just for you, but also for any others who may do a search of the forum and may stumble across this thread in the future. A lot of people look here for advice, and if we just give advice without the caveats, I think it would be doing others a disservice. Again, sorry you are becoming the example, but your situation MAY help others in the future to avoid a similar circumstance and I think that our advice herein ought to reflect that. Anyway, I won't keep posting in your thread, as the only advice I had I've already mentioned (namely, you have the buyers real name and bank account information, so if all else fails, a police or FBI report might be file-able). I certainly wouldn't make any attempt to face her in person or do more than continue to leave very courteous, but stern and clear, voice mails. Good luck!

Muttsta

Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it, your screwed. Several years back I made a mistake and sent someone $4800 in order to purchase something, what really isn't important. I got screwed. I had documented e-mails, receipts, everything. I reported him for fraud, I was successful in winning the case (he please bargained). He was ordered to pay me back fully restitution with interest over the next years. That was three years ago and I still haven't seen a cent. There is a nationwide warrant out for his arrest, but noone seems too concerned with finding the bastard

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Muttsta
As much as I hate to say it, your screwed. Several years back I made a mistake and sent someone $4800 in order to purchase something, what really isn't important. I got screwed. I had documented e-mails, receipts, everything. I reported him for fraud, I was successful in winning the case (he please bargained). He was ordered to pay me back fully restitution with interest over the next years. That was three years ago and I still haven't seen a cent. There is a nationwide warrant out for his arrest, but noone seems too concerned with finding the bastard

This is better than nothing. This is at least a significant inconvenience for him, and the possibility of him being arrested and held is real.

To the OP: Call the police.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
watch out for this one.
a charge was made on my card in a city 400 miles from me.
i had the card co. remove it with no trouble.
3 months later had a phone call from "card security department". to add a monthly charge to cover false charges. just like the one that happened to me, quoting him.
now just a moment. he never said the name of the card co. now he wants my checking id no. plus my ssn. up yours fella.
some wear in these great systems there are people who have access to info and are selling information.
watch out for this one.

Uomo Di Fretti

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the replies. I got a call confirming the details of my complaint with the LA county department of consumer affairs so I'll kick back and see what they can do in addition to exploring the other options offered.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you kick back, nothing is going to happen. You are the only one who cares about this case, trust me.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
dont ever do this kind of thing again. i cant believe you.

i once dealt with wire transfers with buyers and i see the loopholes in it to run away with the money. it can easily be done. fortunately that never comes across my mind.

but it can also be a danger to the seller as well.

i once had a buyer send me CASH in an envelope sent to me usps priority for a pair of shoes. i mean it was like $400.

i couldnt believe this guy. i called him up and berated him never to do it again. what if i never receive the mail? (which does happen once in awhile). then we are both screwed because he loses his money and he will perhaps accuse me of lying or stealing. or at least be very suspicious of me.

wire transfers and sorts should only be done in emergencies between parties of complete trustworthiness, like governmental/public agencies, family members, etc.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Muttsta
They always take their sweet ass time with those. It'll bite that guy in the AZZ when he least expects it.

Uomo Di Fretti

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
if you kick back, nothing is going to happen. You are the only one who cares about this case, trust me.

Point taken on that. I'm not gonna lay on this by any means.

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
You know, i drive by long beach to and from work everyday.

sno'nuff, we might need to talk about showing this douche whos the master!
fistbump.gif

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
wire transfers and sorts should only be done in emergencies between parties of complete trustworthiness, like governmental/public agencies, family members, etc.

is this a joke?
rimshot.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads