• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I critiqued my boss's clothing yesterday, and still have a job

Closer

Reaction score
Wow. Now I remember why I read and do not post.

Sigh, I really do not want to get into an Internet pissing match with you, but your post wreaks of a moron trying to sound intelligent.

"You imparted some questionable views which are no more than your personal opinion and certainly not facts.

Not everyone associates black suits thus and black slacks are very useful items for wear. They do not imply the menial posts of which you speak. It is not career suicide and that should not be your boast but questionable it certainly is.

Last edited:

Closer

Reaction score

You imparted some questionable views which are no more than your personal opinion and certainly not facts.
Not everyone associates black suits thus and black slacks are very useful items for wear. They do not imply the menial posts of which you speak. It is not career suicide and that should not be your boast but questionable it certainly is.

No. This guy.

Closer

Reaction score

Who me? I am the only one that answered your question.

You did just call me blind though. I never imagined that directing someone toward blue and grey suits, grey slacks, and blue blazers would be so controversial or provoke attacks from people. These items are the basics. This guy is trying to build a wardrobe. He can buy other **** once he has the basics down.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Achilles,
I was just joking. Don't get upset. I personally do not like dark navy slacks. I buy 80% grey in different shades. Then I buy a few tan and brown for occasional wear. I just like to keep it simple. That is just me.

Fair enough, your first response was very condescending so I was about to put you on my blocked list :laugh:

I can see navy pants aren't for everyone, I respect that. I wear some shade of gray around 9/10 when I am wearing a SC, but I would get bored without my navy and brown. That, and I have a grayish SC that I don't think looks very good with gray slacks. (it's a grayish plaid with purple windowpane by PRL/Corneliani)

Closer

Reaction score

You imparted some questionable views which are no more than your personal opinion and certainly not facts.

Dumbass,

A fact is something that can be proven. Of course black suits are bad cannot be proven and of course it is a ******* opinion. Of course it is my ******* opinion, because I am the one who said it.

Any other flashes of brilliance you want to impart on me?

PTWilliams

Reaction score
These days, it takes a while for dismissal to be processed through HR

ChristDriven

Reaction score
Long time lurker here and I must say, Closer, I must echo Achilles_ and say that the tone of your posts lean more towards the condescending type. I also agree with GBR that all in all, your statements are your opinions.

In regards to your original post, your employer asked your opinion because he values it. My recommendation is that you relish this quietly and walk lightly.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You did just call me blind though. I never imagined that directing someone toward blue and grey suits, grey slacks, and blue blazers would be so controversial or provoke attacks from people. These items are the basics. This guy is trying to build a wardrobe. He can buy other **** once he has the basics down.

I think it was your general distaste of blue or black trousers that caused a difference in opinion. But, to each his own. :D If anything, this thread just developed a side plot. Pretty bold suggestions to your boss, but i agree in general. A CEO's image should be able to stand alone, as a representation of that company.

Closer

Reaction score

Fair enough, your first response was very condescending so I was about to put you on my blocked list :laugh:
I can see navy pants aren't for everyone, I respect that. I wear some shade of gray around 9/10 when I am wearing a SC, but I would get bored without my navy and brown. That, and I have a grayish SC that I don't think looks very good with gray slacks. (it's a grayish plaid with purple windowpane by PRL/Corneliani)

I do apoligize again. I really do not like navy slacks. 80-90 percent of mine are also grey. You are absolutely right though, there are some sportscoats that will look best with navy slacks though. I could see the combo you mentioned looking great with brown shoes. My boss is not that advanced yet though.

I was trying to give my boss some rules of thumb or basic ideas to start with.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do apoligize again. I really do not like navy slacks. 80-90 percent of mine are also grey. You are absolutely right though, there are some sportscoats that will look best with navy slacks though. I could see the combo you mentioned looking great with brown shoes. My boss is not that advanced yet though.
I was trying to give my boss some rules of thumb or basic ideas to start with.

The advice was pretty sound, I hope he takes your suggestions :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads