• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I can't stand television.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Does anyone have this feeling sometimes? Due to my rooming arrangements I get cable for free but lately it annoys me rather then bringing me entertainment. Lately I've limited myself watching exclusively the news and Seinfeld re-runs.

First, the commercials...yes sure it pays for the million/episode salary of our dear Friends but who still watches them? After trying to sit through a night movie I felt robbed...something like 7 commercial breaks in a movie that's under 2 hours. Being lucky enough to legally acquire much of the media through the internet (f*** you bill C-61) I would rather wait for the movie to download through bit-torrent and then watch it in peace.

The second complaint is probably the core of my rant, why does everyone on TV assume you, the viewer, have an intelligence of a child? I usually stay up late and just catching a glimpse of infomercials makes me want to throw up, the patronizing is just unbelievable. The idea itself that those infomercials make enough sales to be worth the airtime, or even the idea that they make one sale..is deeply disturbing. Same with the never-ending sitcoms(Everybody loves Raymond, Married with children..you know what they are) the background laugh, and the terrible, terrible, repeatable jokes are just sad.

I know my rant would make sense about 20 years ago when those sitcoms were made and commercials were blooming, but only now have I really given a chance to TV, and it really felt like a huge waste of time, not even given the nature of programing, but how everything is organized.

So tell me does TiVo, On demand, satellite, etc. make it any better? What I am worried about with those services is the constant feeling of getting ripped off when you have to pay on daily basis for something you watch. Few channels I actually enjoy (HBO Canada) aren't even offered unless you are subscribing to an expansive plan which is also kind of disappointing.

montyharding

Reaction score
Being able to pick and choose what (thought) you want may increase your ire, but it can be handy.

It can be a slight hassle to get the setup going, but PC/Mac-based-or-terminated solutions might be better if you have an iPod or similar device. I actually rarely sit down to watch TV, but just catch up on shows I like on the iPhone, Touch or even the Nano when I'm briefly travelling or in similar non-productive downtime.

There's also Hulu of course.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quantity of commercials on television in the US has doubled or so in the last 10-15 years. They found out doing so did not seem to affect viewership.

I only turn on the TV for Letterman - and occasionally for sports (although the # of commercials is obscene). Other than that, no TV. I have much better things to do with my life.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stick to torrents as there are only a handful of shows I watch and there's too much garbage on the air otherwise. Plus, I get to skip all the **** commercials that way.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keep basic cable to watch the local news and any big news events. And 30 Rock.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads