• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I can't stand television.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Does anyone have this feeling sometimes? Due to my rooming arrangements I get cable for free but lately it annoys me rather then bringing me entertainment. Lately I've limited myself watching exclusively the news and Seinfeld re-runs.

First, the commercials...yes sure it pays for the million/episode salary of our dear Friends but who still watches them? After trying to sit through a night movie I felt robbed...something like 7 commercial breaks in a movie that's under 2 hours. Being lucky enough to legally acquire much of the media through the internet (f*** you bill C-61) I would rather wait for the movie to download through bit-torrent and then watch it in peace.

The second complaint is probably the core of my rant, why does everyone on TV assume you, the viewer, have an intelligence of a child? I usually stay up late and just catching a glimpse of infomercials makes me want to throw up, the patronizing is just unbelievable. The idea itself that those infomercials make enough sales to be worth the airtime, or even the idea that they make one sale..is deeply disturbing. Same with the never-ending sitcoms(Everybody loves Raymond, Married with children..you know what they are) the background laugh, and the terrible, terrible, repeatable jokes are just sad.

I know my rant would make sense about 20 years ago when those sitcoms were made and commercials were blooming, but only now have I really given a chance to TV, and it really felt like a huge waste of time, not even given the nature of programing, but how everything is organized.

So tell me does TiVo, On demand, satellite, etc. make it any better? What I am worried about with those services is the constant feeling of getting ripped off when you have to pay on daily basis for something you watch. Few channels I actually enjoy (HBO Canada) aren't even offered unless you are subscribing to an expansive plan which is also kind of disappointing.

montyharding

Reaction score
Being able to pick and choose what (thought) you want may increase your ire, but it can be handy.

It can be a slight hassle to get the setup going, but PC/Mac-based-or-terminated solutions might be better if you have an iPod or similar device. I actually rarely sit down to watch TV, but just catch up on shows I like on the iPhone, Touch or even the Nano when I'm briefly travelling or in similar non-productive downtime.

There's also Hulu of course.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quantity of commercials on television in the US has doubled or so in the last 10-15 years. They found out doing so did not seem to affect viewership.

I only turn on the TV for Letterman - and occasionally for sports (although the # of commercials is obscene). Other than that, no TV. I have much better things to do with my life.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stick to torrents as there are only a handful of shows I watch and there's too much garbage on the air otherwise. Plus, I get to skip all the shit commercials that way.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
I guess I'm not alone.

Originally Posted by fredfred
Other than that, no TV. I have much better things to do with my life.

Amen!!

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Reaction score
I keep basic cable to watch the local news and any big news events. And 30 Rock.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40