• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I broke up with my gf (general breakup thread)

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One thing you need to understand is that in most cases like this where the girl ends the relationship, is that you cannot get hung up on what once was. I've been in your shoes (and like I said, still am some days) where you think back to the cute things she did or said or the specific good times you shared. But that's all in the past, because by the time most girls end a relationship, they've already removed themselves emotionally from the relationship.

Even if you guys were on the same wavelength as far as personalities go, it's not likely going to be the same after the relationship is over. In my case, several people dubbed us "the perfect couple" that you couldn't replicate if you tried. But once that relationship was over, the free and easy flow of our conversations stopped. The cute talk stopped. She was still the same person to other people, but when talking to me, it was like talking to a stranger.

Guys have a rep for being emotionally absent when it comes to failed relationships, but that's actually not true. There was a study done recently that found young men are actually hit harder by a failed relationship than young women are. Girls are often the most invested person during the relationship, but once they've had enough, they check out emotionally and unless you're starring in some Hollywood fluff piece, all the cutesy things you can think of doing for her aren't going to change that.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Broke up with my gf on monday. Got really sad for a few days because I kept finding all her stuff in my room and facebook still recommends photos of her and I stupidly read all the messages she sent me in the past and ****. Then I started going to the gym a lot more and getting high again (she was against it so I quit) now all I care about is getting my clothes back from her and making her feel **** because I realised how absolutely great I was to her and how much of a ***** she was.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Guys have a rep for being emotionally absent when it comes to failed relationships, but that's actually not true. There was a study done recently that found young men are actually hit harder by a failed relationship than young women are. Girls are often the most invested person during the relationship, but once they've had enough, they check out emotionally and unless you're starring in some Hollywood fluff piece, all the cutesy things you can think of doing for her aren't going to change that.
Also, women connect with other women emotionally and that can lessens the emotional downsides of a breakup whereas guys usually go into seclusion. There are very few support groups where guys can talk about their past relationships whereas women can.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
Broke up with my gf on monday. Got really sad for a few days because I kept finding all her stuff in my room and facebook still recommends photos of her and I stupidly read all the messages she sent me in the past and ****. Then I started going to the gym a lot more and getting high again (she was against it so I quit) now all I care about is getting my clothes back from her and making her feel **** because I realised how absolutely great I was to her and how much of a ***** she was.

No need to sink to her level. Living well is the best revenge and all that. She'll realize what she's lost if what you say is true.

mkarim - that's generally true, though not for me. I've been the guy looking to confide in my friends about what I'm feeling to the point where I have to pull myself back for analyzing everything to an extent where I feel like a Dawson's Creek character.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Living well is the best revenge and all that. She'll realize what she's lost if what you say is true.
Definitely!!! Golden words!

Originally Posted by APK
mkarim - that's generally true, though not for me. I've been the guy looking to confide in my friends about what I'm feeling to the point where I have to pull myself back for analyzing everything to an extent where I feel like a Dawson's Creek character.
I used to be like that too, but not so much anymore.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
No need to sink to her level. Living well is the best revenge and all that. She'll realize what she's lost if what you say is true.

Yeah, its pretty arrogant to say, but I really am. She's a severely depressed photography student living in a ****** village with very few friends because of how depressed she is and no job for the same reason so she never had any money and I had to pay for everything. Shes got a drinking problem, smokes too much and takes drugs very occasionally. Not that I don't, but I can afford too and don't do it by myself. I'm living in a nice city and Ill be going to university in London studying economics next year and I make plenty of money selling clothes and have people who care about me. I think I was only with her because she is very good looking, but she is miserable. Took her virginity though and I'm getting on her friend now so its all good though.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She's a severely depressed photography student living in a ****** village with very few friends because of how depressed she is and no job for the same reason so she never had any money and I had to pay for everything. Shes got a drinking problem, smokes too much and takes drugs very occasionally. Not that I don't, but I can afford too and don't do it by myself. I'm living in a nice city and Ill be going to university in London studying economics next year and I make plenty of money selling clothes and have people who care about me.
In that case you are better off without her. She would have held you back.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been seeing this girl for a few years. Respective jobs relocate us to different cities. So we're doing the long distance thing, see each other every other month or so, we talk about moving somewhere else together, since neither of us like where we currently live. Usual pattern is that she calls me at least once a week, I never call her. About a month ago she suddenly stops calling. I call her a couple of weeks after that but no answer. So I guess it's over. Weird thing is that I feel absolutely nothing, I guess I could try harder to contact her to figure out what exactly happened, but I just can't bring myself to care enough.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, its pretty arrogant to say, but I really am. She's a severely depressed photography student living in a ****** village with very few friends because of how depressed she is and no job for the same reason so she never had any money and I had to pay for everything. Shes got a drinking problem, smokes too much and takes drugs very occasionally. Not that I don't, but I can afford too and don't do it by myself. I'm living in a nice city and Ill be going to university in London studying economics next year and I make plenty of money selling clothes and have people who care about me. I think I was only with her because she is very good looking, but she is miserable. Took her virginity though and I'm getting on her friend now so its all good though.

Not sure why, but this line is quotable.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Also, women connect with other women emotionally and that can lessens the emotional downsides of a breakup whereas guys usually go into seclusion. There are very few support groups where guys can talk about their past relationships whereas women can.

not for me. talking about it doesn't really help much though. The only thing that helps is getting a new girl, which is hard cos you're usually a bit desperate and low in self esteem if a girl just broke up with you.

you're sounding a bit bitter man, don't wish her any ill. You don't wanna be like this dude

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Been seeing this girl for a few years. Respective jobs relocate us to different cities. So we're doing the long distance thing, see each other every other month or so, we talk about moving somewhere else together, since neither of us like where we currently live. Usual pattern is that she calls me at least once a week, I never call her. About a month ago she suddenly stops calling. I call her a couple of weeks after that but no answer. So I guess it's over. Weird thing is that I feel absolutely nothing, I guess I could try harder to contact her to figure out what exactly happened, but I just can't bring myself to care enough.

She sleeping around no doubt.

Oh Well!

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
My girlfriend broke up with me on Halloween; no real reason. I finally started eating again yesterday. I just don't get it the Thursday before was so ******* beautiful and passionate and now she will not even talk to me at all.

hate to breaking it to you the reason was probably another cock,happens to the best of us
ffffuuuu.gif

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

have you considered the possibility shes dead?
unlikely,but maybe?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
hate to breaking it to you the reason was probably another cock,happens to the best of us
ffffuuuu.gif

Nah, probably only happens to the worst of us.

Originally Posted by frenchy
have you considered the possibility shes dead?
unlikely,but maybe?

Called once a week? I've heard of independence, but that's not even a relationship.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you actually David Mitchell?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur