• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Would You Build a Better Waterproof Breathable Jacket for the City?

Becks23

Reaction score
I was tossing around the idea of putting together some high-quality (don't we all?) waterproof breathable shells that operate somewhere in between your traditional performance purveyors (like your Arc'teryxs/The North Face/Patagonia/Mammut etc) and of course your more fashion driven lines (Acronym, White Mountaineering, visvim etc). There doesn't seem to be a lot of options out there for people who simply want something with considered functionality that don't go hiking and climbing on the weekends. What sort of features would you want to see?

For me personally:
-something that would make it easier to carry a micro 4/3rds and larger camera within the shell
-easy access to transit pass/notebooks/pens
-more tailored fit but while trying to ensure proper movement when needed (this is obviously though as not all waterproof breathables have stretch)
-fit is a big issue for sure
-hoods vs. removable hoods vs. no hoods, tough to figure out since in a more stylistic setting, a hood defeats the purpose but then again it's necessary on a functional level.
-thumbholes in the sleeves? I like the added understated functionality
-weight? Something super lightweight or something that's the norm?
-price <$250 USD

The price seems low, but if you're able to go direct, it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

GucciMonster

Reaction score
Make sure it has pockets that are immediately accessible, ideally diagonal.

Runcible

Reaction score
For me it has to be very functional, and nice looking.

Water proof, not water resistant, but water proof enough that I can survive a decent deluge. Breathable enough to not feel clammy when it's just cold and windy out.

Long enough to keep my trousers dry, and so that I can stay dry when sitting. Trench coats, dusters, and ponchos are popular in wet conditions for a reason. You just need to be sure that it isn't so long that it becomes a tripping hazard, so probably to the knee but not much longer.

Thumb holes could be a nice subtle addition, but I'd prefer cutting the outside of the sleeve longer (possibly coming to a gentile point to look interesting) works just as well to keep the hands covered and is easier to put on and use with gloves. The longer flap also acts as drip edge to keep water from running into pockets.

I'd sacrifice a tailored fit to allow me the freedom to wear a sweater, blazer, or fleece underneath. If you want to carry a camera I expect you're going to have to make the same sacrifice, but perhaps a zippered front with a magnetic flap, that way you could partly unzip the coat and just pull the camera out when you want.

A hood that can roll up into the collar. I don't want the look of it most of the time, but it's very helpful when it rains.

Lapels that can be folded in and buttoned up to the neck when the weather turns fowl.

Pockets and more pockets. Not patch, but jetted with a flap, on the diagonal for hip pockets, and zippered pockets within the hip pockets so I can secure a wallet or keys and not have to worry about dropping something when I sit. I also like vertical zippered pockets on the chest, and with a flap or subtle sipper they don't have to be ugly. If the coat is lined, have the outside pockets go into the insulation so I can warm my hands.

Weight. Don't try to make it too light, your in the city not climbing a mountain. It needs some weight to drape properly.

On the style front Norwegian Rain has some lovely raincoats, but they aren't in the price range that you're talking about. http://www.norwegianrainshop.com/raincoat-single-breasted-classic.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads