• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear Glen Plaid

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
What do you all think of this grey windowpane suit from ed (I just got) combined with some edwardian mackays?
P1010638.jpg
P1010647.jpg
129426.jpg
Does it work?

Do you already own these shoes?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff

Yes, in 3 colors.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I wore Edwardian button boots today, just for you, big guy:

p1030074ah7.jpg

(Well, actually, it was more because of the rain.)

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
yes. I got a lot of compliments

And you'd allow these folks to choose your ties I assume. The problem with tan shoes with any grey or blue suit(yes I've seen this atrocity occasionally) is that they look like orange lollipops on the end of your legs. The glen plaid suit by definition is a fairly bold look. You don't need to make it look bolder by wearing tan shoes or garish ties.

John Ellis

Reaction score
What do you all think of this grey windowpane suit from ed (I just got) combined with some edwardian mackays?

P1010638.jpg

P1010647.jpg

129426.jpg

Does it work?

The tie and shirt looks ok but a bit dull imho. The pale blue shirt and suitable tie ore the white shirt with perhaps a royal blue tie with small white polka dots would sparkle. If you have a tan the girls would swoon.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff

No, but I have a pair of shoes very similar in color.

Originally Posted by John Ellis
The tie and shirt looks ok but a bit dull imho. The pale blue shirt and suitable tie ore the white shirt with perhaps a royal blue tie with small white polka dots would sparkle. If you have a tan the girls would swoon.

The shirt/tie combo is what was used as the suit's accompaniments in its for sale thread. Not mine. Although, I do like the combo.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No it looks garish!

John-
I do understand your point of view, although I think it may be worthwhile for gumercindo to try it out and post pics for us to comment on. A darker brown shoe would be a slightly quieter look, but depending on the tie, shirt, etc. it might not be as garish as all that. One of my friends has PoW suit with subdued red highlights and has paired it with shoes of a similar shade to those shown here; because he often picks relatively "quiet" ties and other accessories, he's able to pull-off the ensemble without looking garish...

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does it work?

I think it does. I wear a slightly higher contrast glen plaid with chestnut EG Inverness.

The plaid is 4457 in this attachment:

Attachment 356

--Andre

misterbowles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
actually is looks a LOT like this one, other than the red in place of blue... (you can see the blue in the second picture)

Nice watch (and suit, of course!) -- what is it?

poelow

Reaction score
I've posted earlier about my inherited glen plaid suit, but today just got it back from the tailor and tried out a few combinations with the suit, attached as pictures. I am curious as to what patterns and colors people think look good with glen plaid in general?
I hope my combinations aren't too hideous... still a style newbie.
peepwall[1].gif

This particular suit I realize, is very "80's" with its wide lapels and pattern, but now that I have gotten it altered to fit more trim, I hope to wear it out. What do you all think? Hows the altered fit?

Thanks,

Ryan

pinkful.jpg

pinkclose.jpg

whitenavy.jpg

stripedful.jpg

stripedclose.jpg

blue.jpg

neyus

Reaction score
I think I like the Navy and light blue tie combos the best.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Poelow...looks very nice to me.

I just had my first fitting today on my new custom glen plaid suit. Overall it was pretty good, but we're sending it back to have the lapels re-cut. The gorge was a bit low. They're also making some other alterations to the jacket and some minor tweeks to the vest and trousers. Unfortunately the lapel and collar recut means I'm still a few weeks from having it, but I think its going to be great.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And you'd allow these folks to choose your ties I assume. The problem with tan shoes with any grey or blue suit(yes I've seen this atrocity occasionally) is that they look like orange lollipops on the end of your legs. The glen plaid suit by definition is a fairly bold look. You don't need to make it look bolder by wearing tan shoes or garish ties.

you are more than entitled to your opinion, but, it is a look I enjoy.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This particular suit I realize, is very "80's" with its wide lapels and pattern, but now that I have gotten it altered to fit more trim, I hope to wear it out. What do you all think? Hows the altered fit?
Pretty good, but why does the right sleeve look wrinked when your arm seems extended? Also, is one shoulder lower than the other?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads