• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear Glen Plaid

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just talked to my tailor today and my new glen plaid should be ready for my first fitting next week.
laugh.gif

I'll try to remember to take pics.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
actually is looks a LOT like this one, other than the red in place of blue... (you can see the blue in the second picture)

I have one like this too, with the blue overcheck rather than the red. I will admit, I don't find occasion to wear it all that often, since I am reluctant to wear it to work. Maybe because it has the blue rather than the red, I haven't had difficulty finding shirts or ties that go well enough with it -- I favour a light blue with some kind of self-weave in it and a burgundy grenadine.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you all think of this grey windowpane suit from ed (I just got) combined with some edwardian mackays?

P1010638.jpg

P1010647.jpg

129426.jpg

Does it work?

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
actually is looks a LOT like this one, other than the red in place of blue... (you can see the blue in the second picture)

Basically this how not to wear a POW check suit. It's best with a white shirt and a tie which picks up the color of the overcheck. So blue overcheck, white shirt and dark blue tie with white polka dots (not too close together). Red Overcheck ditto white shirt and burgundy tie with polka dots. Blue shirts and polka dot ties also work. Want to push the envelope. Blue narrow but bold striped shirt and mini shepheards check tie in black and white.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tan shoes always go well.

I just wore one the other day. Mine has a light blue overcheck. I wore a white light blue shirt, a darker blue w/yellow patterned bowtie and tan shoes

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
Have them sent to a friend's place or work if possible.

As for Glen Plaid, it's wonderful, but I prefer solid shirts and ties with it - white shirt with black or burgundy tie, pale blue shirt with navy or bugundy tie. If the fabric is light grey and has only a faint overcheck, even pale blue shirt, gold tie and tobacco suede shoes looks great.

The shoes should always be a black half brogue. A black full brogue is not far behind but not quite as good in my opinion. If you must go brown make it a dark brown suede half brogue.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
tan shoes always go well.

I just wore one the other day. Mine has a light blue overcheck. I wore a white light blue shirt, a darker blue w/yellow patterned bowtie and tan shoes

Tan shoes?????????????????????????????

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
What do you all think of this grey windowpane suit from ed (I just got) combined with some edwardian mackays?

P1010638.jpg

P1010647.jpg

129426.jpg

Does it work?

No it looks garish!

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Absolutely. Embrace the band-aid.

I don't think I'm bold enough to pull off the band-aid look with a dark blue suit, though. The more I think about it, the more I think this light grey suit will not go well with black. Shades of brown, imo, will work best.

John Ellis

Reaction score
I don't think I'm bold enough to pull off the band-aid look with a dark blue suit, though. The more I think about it, the more I think this light grey suit will not go well with black. Shades of brown, imo, will work best.

A glen plaid suit has masses of black in it. This makes it visually a mid brown. Put tan shoes with it and they will look orange at a distance. The only brown shoe that remotely works is very dark brown calf but I think dark brown suede is a better brown route. Black captoe half brogue is the best look by a mile particularly if you're wearing it for business when the suede is not really viable.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Ellis
A glen plaid suit has masses of black in it. This makes it visually a mid brown. Put tan shoes with it and they will look orange at a distance. The only brown shoe that remotely works is very dark brown calf but I think dark brown suede is a better brown route. Black captoe half brogue is the best look by a mile particularly if you're wearing it for business when the suede is not really viable.

Oops mid grey sorry.

JamesT

Reaction score

I've noticed that the dark blue suit and light brown shoes combination tends to be seen more on clothing salesmen than on regular people.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesT
I've noticed that the dark blue suit and light brown shoes combination tends to be seen more on clothing salesmen than on regular people.

I do it when I am feeling puckish, not that often.

According to Flusser and others, George Frazier wore tan shoes with almost everything. His two hallmarks were tan shoes and a black grenadine tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads