• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Pick Brown Shoes... and then the Belt

TreadNotOnMe

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here, first post. This idea of actually caring about what you wear is totally new to me. I turned 30 and something clicked... which I think I've seen as a common pattern to some degree.

I read an article that explained different colors of brown, and so my question is: what needs to go into choosing the right one? Let's assume I can only afford one pair for now. Is there more to it then which brown I like the most? I have grey and navy dress pants, if that matters.

Follow up: One thing I don't get is if the belt needs to match the shade of brown? Or can you rock out with a dark brown belt with walnut shoes, or a lighter brown belt with burgundy or dark brown shoes?

I feel like I don't have a natural gift to even know what to wear with what, and what goes well with what. It all just looks fine to me :)

Here is the article I read that showed 4 different shades of brown. Not sure if you are allowed to link out of the forum, but here it goes:

http://www.effortlessgent.com/all-in-the-details-brown-leather-shoes-shade/

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Best shade of brown for an only pair is dark brown because of it's increased versatility than say, a lighter shade. You should have a dark brown belt but many will tell you any shade of brown is acceptable for the belt.

I personally match my shoes/belt/watch straps as closely as possible. More shoes/belts/watches :)

I used to match bags also but I exclusively carry the bag in my avatar which I made myself.

Last edited:

TreadNotOnMe

Reaction score
That's great info, thanks! So it sounds like dark brown will be a good one to start with. If I could follow up, what's important when choosing socks? Are you looking to work with your shoes/belt combo? Or with the pants? Seems like I should know something like that, but, well... I don't.

Macallan

Reaction score
Get a pair of medium or dark brown shoes; as for the belt, same applies.

I am not too fussed about having browns matching perfectly, I would wear a pair of light or dark brown shoes with a medium brown belt (than again, I only have one brown belt).

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Socks should be the color of your trousers (match grey with grey, tan with tan, etc.), or they can be navy. Those are two simple rules to live by. Oh yeah, don't wear white socks unless you're doing sports.

TreadNotOnMe

Reaction score
Socks should be the color of your trousers (match grey with grey, tan with tan, etc.), or they can be navy. Those are two simple rules to live by. Oh yeah, don't wear white socks unless you're doing sports.

Are you saying that navy socks can always be worn, no matter the color of your pants?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can but it won't always look right. Unless you're Edmorel.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In most situations, the belt and shoes should be in a similar shade. For example, dark with medium or dark. Light might go better with medium than with another light color (depending on the surrounding clothing and physical features). Also, brown and black almost never mix.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TreadNotOnMe, welcome to Styleforum.
You stated coordinating the belt and shoes specifically with navy or gray pants. You did not mention suits.
Explore complimentary but contrasitng belt colours when wearing casually and match the colour within reason when suited.

Last edited:

TreadNotOnMe

Reaction score
Yes, sorry, I did mean that it is a grey suit, and a navy suit. I don't know why I only mentioned the pants. Does that make it different?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, sorry, I did mean that it is a grey suit, and a navy suit. I don't know why I only mentioned the pants. Does that make it different?

Sort of. When Wearing a suit, you want to follow this rule more strictly. For casual wear, as ManOfLint mentioned, you can go with different colors, textures and materials.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads