• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to achieve this hair look? pics

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to Sally's Beauty Supply if you have on in the area and purchase a pair of thinnning shears. These should cost you less than $10 and are basically scissors, but one arm appears to have 'teeth'. Essentially, this allows you to easily thin your hair and come closer to acheiving your desired look at home. I would first try going to the salon, however, to properly set your expectations of what is possible with your hair type.

I don't have the style you're looking for (then again I'm 30), but I've been cutting my own hair with a combination of clippers and thinning shears for years now.

jondoe89

Reaction score
do you know if like, walgreens would carry thinning shears? sallys is soo far haha. so i just cut all over with these then?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jondoe89
do you know if like, walgreens would carry thinning shears? sallys is soo far haha. so i just cut all over with these then?
I doubt it. But you know, I have serious reservations about doing it yourself. I know I am sort of biased but at the very least have a friend help you.

jondoe89

Reaction score
aight so i got the thinning sheers. now how do i use them? do i cut from the scalp or what? thanks

jaustin

Reaction score
hey, this is just a general question about thinning shears.

do they just make your hair look thinner and less poofy, or are there certain hairstyles that require thinning? What else does thinning do for you?

thanks.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Start very slow with thinning shears, they don't work well at putting the hair back on if you cut off too much. Start cutting only about 1/3 of the length off in small bits and see how it looks. As you become more comfortable with them you can experiment with cutting deeper and a little more. These essentially cut roughly 50% of the hair that you 'snip', leaving the area much thinner and easier to style.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaustin
hey, this is just a general question about thinning shears.

do they just make your hair look thinner and less poofy, or are there certain hairstyles that require thinning? What else does thinning do for you?

thanks.

They make your hair less 'poofy' I suppose. They make the hair much easier to style for sure.

ninpoo

Reaction score
Did you want your hair cut similar to these?

11389577111.jpg

1untitled.jpg

fukyouhamlet.jpg

It's quite easy..

jondoe89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ninpoo
Did you want your hair cut similar to these?

11389577111.jpg

1untitled.jpg

fukyouhamlet.jpg

It's quite easy..

not really. imm looking ore for somthing like ayn's, just shorter though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads