• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to achieve this hair look? pics

jondoe89

Reaction score
Hey Guys Im 17 and am trying to achieve this type of hair look. Im looking for this kind of but more focused on the top part of the head and instead of the shiny thin spikes i want a pomade look of bigger bed head looking spikes. I had a better pic but the link died. Here is the cloest thing i could find but its still not 100% what im looking for. THIS PIC IS NOT ME!
image025ds2.jpg
Here is a pic of what my hair looks right now. THis is not me but the guy has the same type of texture, etc that my hair does. Thanks

Max

Reaction score
Longer hair, a blowdryer, and some good pasty pomade. Towel dry the hair, then blow dry so it's poofy. Use the pomade to make your spikes and finish off with some hairspray.

jondoe89

Reaction score
no my hair is not curly. I used to spike it for about 6 years but i havent done so in several months.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hair needs to be longer
and to beat a dead horse: Gatsby Spiky Edge will do anything you need/want it to. I used to spike my hair with it, then just held it in directions, and now I hold my hair wavy with it

jondoe89

Reaction score
Im not really trying to use gel to spike my hair though. Im tying to achieve the look in hte pics in post # 3. Or maybe something esle you guys suggest. Thanks

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wording may be off but I think thinned layers is what you want...

buyer's remorse

Reaction score
what you're looking for is described as the messy spiky look.

the first and most important thing is to get your hair properly texturized and thinned at a nice hair salon (not a barbershop...barbers aren't trained for that kind of stuff).

then you need to find the right product. for a shiny look, apply wax or paste while the hair is still moist (towel-dried). wax for a thicker and chunkier look. if you have sparse hair, it will be too clumpy and thus show too much scalp. otherwise, you're ok. pomade won't really give you the messy spiky look. it's basically gel but way better.

for a matte finish, you can apply paste after the hair is completely dry with no moisture in it anymore. or you can apply clay as well after the hair is dry.

for all these products, do not apply too much. you only need a tiny amount. the key is to use a little as possible. too much and it will be too clumpy.

jondoe89

Reaction score
so i think my problem is that 1nce a month i just use the clippers and do like a #5 all the way around.

What i need to do is get it properly cut at a salon?

I have wax and pomade i just bought yesterday too. Im into the urban culture so that is the messy spike hypebeast kinda look im going for.

What should i tell the salon lady? And you guys have any good pics?

And do the pics from post 3 work for you? They havent worked for me for the past few hours.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by buyer's remorse
the first and most important thing is to get your hair properly texturized and thinned at a nice hair salon (not a barbershop...barbers aren't trained for that kind of stuff).....

Not necessarily - depends on the sort of shop more than anything.

jondoe89

Reaction score
whats a good salon in inland empire, ca? What about fantastic sams? lmao

how would those thinning scissors work for me if i did it myself you think?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics