• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How the hell do you lose 5 pounds?!

Airdrian23

Reaction score
Okay so heres the story. I was 220 pounds and I am down to 165lbs. I run almost everyday, except maybe one for rest, on a treadmill. Then I do work out on machines with light weight with a lot of reps and like 4 sets each. I also do about 250 crunches in the morning and some sets of push-ups. I try to eat healthy but there are parties here and there.

So how the hell do I lose these 5 pounds to go down 160 or even 10 pounds to 155? It's unbelievably difficult.
My weight fluctuates maybe I'll be 160 one day but next 165. Am I doing something wrong?

Help appreciated muchhhh!!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's natural for your weight to fluctuate, especially if you're not weighing yourself at the same time every day. You're heavier at night than in the morning, in general.

While you may have plateaud, don't give up. The last five pounds is lost the same as all the others: by eating fewer calories than you burn. Are you sure you're not replacing fat with muscle?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I have 5 lbs. to loose, I try to be realistic and give it at least 3 weeks. I increase my excercise regimen to 2 x a day. Bikram yoga in the morning and weight resistance training in the afternoon. I'll eat smaller meals during the day and absolutely no carbs at night. I weigh myself every week. Also I find that going to the sauna help me loose water retention. I used to fast one day a week, but I'm just too busy these days to have that luxury. Mental discipline is very important. Weight is something we have CONTROL over.

nioh

Reaction score
If you stopped losing weight it is most likely due to the ratio between calories in vs out has reached zero. You either need to get more active or eat less. I suggest a combination.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Variation is important too. Your body optimises itself to efficiently handle your exercise routine, so you often see a decline in the returns when continuing the same program. Try to break the mould a bit, say by swimming instead of running, which should result in a kick-start to your progress.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you drinking? Fruit juice, soda, iced tea everyday can add pounds because of the sugar.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Five pounds can be lost. Believe me. I've lost 12 pounds recently, simply by eliminating 'seconds,' at dinner. Watch your carb, intake. A swift weight loss can be achieved with greater ease, by cutting down, on carbs. You'll have to make adjustments in your diet thereafter, to maintain your desired weight.

Lester56

Reaction score
Muscles become very efficient over time. Your muscles may have become used to your workout schedule and are not being challenged enough to burn fuel like before. Throw out your workout schedule and find another, or make one up from scratch.

I try not to have the same workout schedule or routine for more than two weeks at a time.

You give me hope though. I weighed 230 lbs 3 weeks ago and I'm down to 219. My goal is 190. Maybe I should adjust my goal to 180.

Thanks!

cultpop 0217

I, Manface
Reaction score
try less reps withhigher weight and change up your cardio. if you build more muscle you will raise your resting metab and variation (as everyone has said) is the key to working past a plateau.

Airdrian23

Reaction score
Ahh word I am watching my carbs now and trying to eat alot healthier.
As for the weights I began using lighter weights and doing more reps soo hopefully that'll turn out better.

The thing with running is one day I'll be able to run the 30 minutes no problem and then the next day Im struggling less than half-way. So does this just mean I'm wearing myself out?

Going good Currently at 163 but thats after working out and **** so im thinking maybe I lost a pound, hopefully.

Thanks for the advice guys keep it coming I need all the free help I can get haha.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Airdrian23
Ahh word I am watching my carbs now and trying to eat alot healthier.
As for the weights I began using lighter weights and doing more reps soo hopefully that'll turn out better.

The thing with running is one day I'll be able to run the 30 minutes no problem and then the next day Im struggling less than half-way. So does this just mean I'm wearing myself out?

Going good Currently at 163 but thats after working out and **** so im thinking maybe I lost a pound, hopefully.

Thanks for the advice guys keep it coming I need all the free help I can get haha.

This is normal. I run alot and feel very sluggish certain days. It is important to drink lots of water throughout the day of your run and to also eat healthy. For instance, days where I have had a donut at breakfast, and a burger at lunch (which are not often), I feel like crap running and am much "weaker" and tired.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Airdrian23
Okay so heres the story. I was 220 pounds and I am down to 165lbs. I run almost everyday, except maybe one for rest, on a treadmill. Then I do work out on machines with light weight with a lot of reps and like 4 sets each. I also do about 250 crunches in the morning and some sets of push-ups. I try to eat healthy but there are parties here and there.

So how the hell do I lose these 5 pounds to go down 160 or even 10 pounds to 155? It's unbelievably difficult.
My weight fluctuates maybe I'll be 160 one day but next 165. Am I doing something wrong?

Help appreciated muchhhh!!

You lost 55 pounds. Why aren't you satisfied with that? That is amazing and you need to be congratulated. I would just be happy to drop 20 myself.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Cut off one of your arms.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads