1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How tall are you?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Feb 27, 2005.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

2. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I thought women lied about their height. Are you sure he didn't say WOmen?

Men lie about a different dimension.

3. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

Does that mean I'm actually 5'11"? Sweeeet.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The Netherlands are inhabited by giants. I felt like a midget there. I used to dance (Argentine) Tango, and one partner I had was a Dutch woman, 5'11", who was so strong sometime I felt like she was leading. She said that in the region she was from, she was considered short. Didn't believe her until I met her 6'5" fiance. And not just tall and skinny either.

5. WhysGuy

WhysGuy Member

montecristo, I'm positive it's men, in fact he said he gets a kick out of asking men for their vitals first and then asking them to get on the scale to show them that they lied. I think women would be more apt to lie about their weight, I'll have to ask him about that... linux_pro, I thought I read somewhere you were a math major, according to him, you would really be 5'7" For those of us on the less 'vertically endowed' side, I have just discovered the AE MacNeil which has a thicker sole than most shoes. They're somewhat height-enhancing for those of us that can use it [​IMG]

6. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

I guess what I mean was, I could start telling you guys I'm actually 5'11".

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I'm actually 6'2" and on a dry day my hair makes me 6'3".

Makes for an unobstructed view of Tokyo.

8. paul44

paul44 Member

Looks like our Bell curve is starting to take shape.

Even if there are a lot of abnormally short people. Although I bet if we added more choices under 5'7" or whatever, it would be distributed a bit more thinly at that end.

9. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Yeah, the Dutch are freaking tall.... I am 5'9, which is about average for the US, but after living in Amsterdam for the past 3 years I feel like a midget.

Guess its all the dairy... or maybe it's the Heineken.

Hope it's the Heineken...

10. onix

onix Senior member

I just want to bump this up and hope to get a glimpse on the height demographic here.

11. eg1

eg1 Senior member

six foot two, eyes of blue ... [​IMG]

12. Finsen

Finsen Senior member

Seems like we are all evenly distributed.

13. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

"I have a friend who is a doctor. He said that invariably the one thing all men lie about is their height. According to him, men usually add two inches."

I don't see how anyone thinks they can verbally add 2 full inches to their height and not have the person they are lying to immediately think, "yeah, right." Not saying it doesn't happen...but it's dopey.

I think this is interesting, though: a good friend of mine who is 6' plus once asked me how tall I was. I told him, "I don't know, about 5 foot 9.5 inches." He laughed, and asked me if I ever noticed how guys 6' or over will usually give their height in a round number, to the nearest inch, while guys under 6' will invariable add whatever fraction of an inch they can reasonably muster.

I've tested this on occasion and found it to be almost 100% accurate. Excepting this forum, perhaps, and in sporting stats, the average guy on the street doesn't say he six-foot-two-and-a-half inches; he says 6-2. Guys in my range though always add the fraction.

14. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Bout 5'3" I think, maybe closer to 5'4"...

15. vbrasta

vbrasta Well-Known Member

16. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

6' 2". 42 Jacket

17. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

"I have a friend who is a doctor. He said that invariably the one thing all men lie about is their height. According to him, men usually add two inches."

I don't see how anyone thinks they can verbally add 2 full inches to their height and not have the person they are lying to immediately think, "yeah, right." Not saying it doesn't happen...but it's dopey.

Barefoot or in shoes? The average numbers I'm fairly sure assume a 1" heeled shoe. It's like those things you see in stores so the clerks can measure the gunmen on the way out [​IMG] The clerk never asks you to take your shoes off

18. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

5'10 in shoes -) Italian 50 or 52 jacket.

19. the law

the law Senior member

20. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

im 5'10.5 without shoes in the evening.

i used to be all caught up in height years ago, but now i find the more dimunitive statured guys much more attractive in certain dress that i like: streetwear jeans/flannels, suitwear evening wear.

the japanese (tons of them near where i work here at the Nissan building) are very slim built and rock their suits very well.

all the koreans like me are thicker and squarer and taller , but i prefer to have the stature of the japanese.

i wish i was more like 5'8 and 150 lbs. that would be perfect.