• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how old were you when?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
There were two questions in the OP. What you want to be and what to do with your life. Interesting how everyone answered in terms of career.

When my father died, when I was eight, I decied what I wanted to be in life was happy. I also never wanted to feel that badly again. I have felt that bad on several occasions, but the overwhelming portion of my life since then has been happy, so I have to feel I have accomplished what I wanted be at age eight.

TimuM

Reaction score
I did not set my mind to choose a major...... I am in IT business now
smile.gif

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew what I wanted to do pretty much when I got this job in publishing and thought, "hey, this isn't so bad. 35 hours/week, medical and dental, 401k and pension, cubicle with a view of Love Park, Internet message boards, nice boss, upward mobility. I got a pretty good deal for my soul."

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
22, still don't know for sure. Definitely something involving teaching, but it isn't continuing to do personal training at my current job.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to do something in art and business when I was a freshman in High School. I didn't have a clue how to get there or even know what I would actually do. I started college as a business major and took art classes as my schedule allowed. I then started a company that published artwork and did that for 28 years. Looking back it appears focused and goal oriented, which it was. But starting an art publishing company was considered pretty weird by most people when I did it, like some strange hobby. Non-traditional career paths don't always get much support from peers, friends and banks because they don't understand them. Also, most schools don't expose you to alternative careers.

My suggestion for anyone is to take a personal inventory of your talent and passions and then just go and try a few things knowing that some may not work. But, in the end you will have looked for something special and not settled for something just because it was there.

Good luck!

June

Reaction score

Something in me just wanted to do research. Market researcher, psychological researcher, survey researcher... something along those lines is what I want to be.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I was still incarnated in my former life... Seriously though, I when I was 17 or 18; I've always had a knack for business, runs in the family. Jon.
Not much knack for gettin' some though.

itskub

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Also, most schools don't expose you to alternative careers.
Good luck!

I'm 21, looking back at high school and even into my first year of college at PSU, I realized how naive I was about the world and career paths. I was in my first year of college undecided/clueless (for me it could've been anything; food science, photojournalism, radiology, whatever...) then just by chance, I found out about a curriculum at a different school and right away I knew this is just what Ive been looking for. It just 'clicked' .
I absolutely love the material I'm learning, though admittedly I'm not 100% what I'll be doing with it specifically, it's very open (BBA in Design and Management). Whatever it is, I know I'll enjoy it.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itskub
BBA in Design and Management). Whatever it is, I know I'll enjoy it.

That is an interesting and practical combination. Too often people just study the creative side or the business side. Putting them together like that lets you do more and manage those who chose a more narrow focus. Just one suggestion, take at least basic accounting, it will help you manage and present projects when justifying the $$ as well as help you talk to bankers.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
That is an interesting and practical combination. Too often people just study the creative side or the business side. Putting them together like that lets you do more and manage those who chose a more narrow focus. Just one suggestion, take at least basic accounting, it will help you manage and present projects when justifying the $$ as well as help you talk to bankers.

And that's why I took art and photography.
smile.gif

Jon.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About 12 years old, when my dad took me into an airplane hangar at his workplace and let me explore a private jet. I've been hooked ever since.

JB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics