how old were you when?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bob_gnarly, Apr 23, 2008.

1. bob_gnarly

bob_gnarly Senior member

you decided, or had somewhat of an idea what you wanted to be? or what you wanted to do with you life?..i still have no clue[​IMG] . im 21 and since being out of highschool i have had the odd jobs and whatnot, thought i wanted be a mechanic so i tried that. found out i liked motorcycles so i nearly attended MMI but that did not happen and i am glad for that. then took a few online classes in business. then contemplated joining the military. now i have registered for the upcoming fall semester at college, and i still haven't the slightest clue as to where i am going. guess i better start buying lotto tickets[​IMG]

2. Coho

Coho Senior member

For me, it was 19.

Take a look at this and see what would fit you best.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm#b00-0000

Good luck.

you decided, or had somewhat of an idea what you wanted to be? or what you wanted to do with you life?..i still have no clue[​IMG] . im 21 and since being out of highschool i have had the odd jobs and whatnot, thought i wanted be a mechanic so i tried that. found out i liked motorcycles so i nearly attended MMI but that did not happen and i am glad for that. then took a few online classes in business. then contemplated joining the military. now i have registered for the upcoming fall semester at college, and i still haven't the slightest clue as to where i am going. guess i better start buying lotto tickets[​IMG]

3. IDirector

IDirector Senior member

24. Always had fun messing with computers and decided to get paid in it.

4. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

still no clue. its sad im more certain of my personal style than i am of my direction in life.

5. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I probably didn't settle on a career path until my mid-30s, once I convinced myself I could excel in the field I was in. Before then, I felt I was casting around a bit for a direction. Once I made up my mind, I went out and got a Masters in my chosen field and then got some international experience to back it up with.

6. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

16. Now at 27 with a career I'm not so sure what I want to be anymore.

7. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

25. My best friend had just died. I thought, "If he could die, I could die. If I could die, why live?" It helped me sort out what I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing.

I've found these questions to be helpful to me and others:

If you could do anything, what would you do?
    Why would you want to do that? What would be the disadvantages?

Another set of helpful questions:

What do I love?
    What am I good at?
    What does the world need?

A helpful exercise too, is to brainstorm. Write down all the jobs/careers you're considering, no matter how silly they might seem to you. Leave a lot of space around each possibility. Then near each option write down any word that comes to mind, such as sad, dead, happy, flowers, anything. This is helpful for determining one's deepest, subconscious desires.

It's also indispensable to get some exposure to the field and career you're considering through an internship, talking to those working in it, etc.

8. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

25. My best friend had just died. I thought, "If he could die, I could die. If I could die, why live?" It helped me sort out what I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing.

What do I love?
    What am I good at?

A helpful exercise too, is to brainstorm. Write down all the jobs/careers you're considering, no matter how silly they might seem to you. Leave a lot of space around each possibility. Then near each option write down any word that comes to mind, such as sad, dead, happy, flowers, anything. This is helpful for determining one's deepest, subconscious desires.

It's also indispensable to get some exposure to the field and career you're considering through an internship, talking to those working in it, etc.

That's some great advice. I knew what I wanted to do from the age of 7. If you have a passion for something, that's where you need to be.

9. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

What do I love?
    What am I good at?

[​IMG] You sound like a priest [​IMG]

10. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

All grown up and I still have no clue. [​IMG]

11. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I'll let my future self handle getting old.

12. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

I want to fast forward to myself at 40...and stay in that position. Don't know if it'll be good or bad, but out of sheer curiosity i'm wondering where my current path could possibly take me. Does anyone else ever feel the same way?

13. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

10. I had a major career change when I went to grad school however.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I was 20. Last year of undergrad. I had a teacher who was really a great pedagogue and quite passionate about corporate finance and financial analysis. He was a bit of an odd ball and had great stories. Made me appreciate the topic a lot more and a profession I knew nothing about.

15. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

This is a serious question: for those of you that don't know what you want to do with your life, what is your "dream job", and are you afraid to pursue it for lack of confidence or for monetary reasons? I mean, you have to be passionate about something and, no matter how old you are, there has to be a job you would simply love it have if you're not already filling that perfect niche.

In high school there was this acquaintance of mine who one day was talking to me about how he had no idea what he wanted to do after school. I asked him what his dream job was and he replied, "Chef". I was like, "Uh...do that?" It was like some grand fucking epiphany for him and he now calls me regularly and updates me on his life (he's recently out of school, a chef at the Ritz Carlton on Capitol Hill for now).

I'm not being condescending, but I think it's a lot of baggage people put on themselves and ultimately it's having the balls to do whatever you want to do. Or maybe I'm just missing something.