• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much did you pay for your wife's/fiancee's engagement ring?

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like anything, the pricing there, I am sure, includes name recognition, and location, if it's in a high end retail area. As with clothing, you can (and it would seem you did) find equal, or higher, quality for less, by looking around and doing your, seemingly extensive, research.

I just reread my old post and realized where it was confusing. The wedding band had to be shaped around the e-ring setting is because I, quite foolishly, forgot to get the wedding band mould made up at the same time as the engagement ring. I didn't have to buy any gold for her ring; all recycled from heirloom, or no longer worn, pieces from my grandmother, mom, and sister. I also think being in a suburb of Vancouver, rather than in NYC, affected the price.

Powertrip

Reaction score
I'll be subbed to this thread for the good advice. Thanks, gentlemen.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Like anything, the pricing there, I am sure, includes name recognition, and location, if it's in a high end retail area.  As with clothing, you can (and it would seem you did) find equal, or higher, quality for less, by looking around and doing your, seemingly extensive, research.  

That's the easy assumption, which is true for brands living on yesterday's success. Many of them are not charging the huge premiums assumed if you are comparing apples to apples. Most people just arrive at that conclusion because they are comparing a top grade stone and hand wrought platinum setting to their local jeweler's 'version' which eliminates many of the details which make the first one more expensive.

rogerm

Reaction score
I've read some of the posts here and thought I would toss in my info. I bought a 1.25 carat ring from James Allen F, VVS1 for 13,500. Paid another 3K for a rose gold setting, with pink diamonds. I'm in my late 30's

Now here's the important thing. Going through pricescope i was able to get a 5% discount from different sites. I live in Cali so I saved the taxes as well. Price scope has a database that ties into multiple sites.

Lastly, the reason I ended up at James Allen was I was looking for a diamond with strong blue fluorescence. Her diamond glows blue half the time. It's worth checking out. bought this book on amazon kindle and would be happy to lend it to anyone on the kindle sharing option. It talks about fluorescence and what it is. There's also a 15 year GIA report worth digging up, and I have it if anyone really wants it, pm me.

http://www.amazon.com/Diamonds-Anto...?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1398222809&sr=1-2

BlindMelons

Reaction score
I'll toss mine in as well, wedding is in June. Simon G, 1.3ct center, J, VS1 - $11,500

papa kot

Reaction score
I don't remember how much I paid for the whole wedding ring + engagement ring + diamond concussion, but it was under $8K. My lady was pretty cool about the whole ordeal and I could have gotten away with a cheaper deal, but I decided to spoil her.

To the ones who are about to splurge: Buy the best you can afford. A guy I knew paid a lot for a huge rock of a poor quality and I still remember then time when his wife came up to mine and asked "Why is your diamond so clear and shiny and mine is not?" My lovely half had a reply ready within a fraction of a second, "Because my husband knows a thing or two about diamonds."

Hole in one :) That's why I love my wife.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats the word on lab made diamonds? Tacky or a good deal?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Depends on how much emotional investment you and your fiancee have over the value of natural stones. They're identical in everything except method of creation, so it's pretty much just an emotional judgement. I'm sure the diamond industry is lobbying about the value of natural stones etc etc but it's all just marketing.

Although, the colorless lab diamonds are not much cheaper than naturals, especially if you're looking for a high quality cut like you should. The difference is much larger for the colored diamonds.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About $600. My wife has small hands, and she doesn't like diamonds except as accents to colored stones. I had a gold ring designed with small rubies and diamonds. It is very tasteful without screaming look at me, I'm pretty, look at me, I'm pretty. Unfortunately, neither one of us is a materialist of much use to the economy, and we both spent enough time outside of the system to have achieved a certain perspective on material wealth that I find rather healthy. That said, just because a woman doesn't care about the value of the engagement ring doesn't mean she's going to be a good mate. Likewise, just because you afford your lover a big, expensive engagement ring doesn't mean you're going to be a good mate. My advice, and I know no one is asking for it, but my advice is to spend more time getting to know yourself and your potential mate, spend some time on the road together, etc before getting too focused on asking any questions like will you marry me. Don't get too focused on the ring buying wind up to the question phase. Something more important is happening when two people come together.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now. Take care, all, and good luck!

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So ended up buying one last month...spent a hair less than $10k.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keep hearing about how it should be = to 2 or 3 months salary? Any of you guys follow certain 'rules' for how much you should pay?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I keep hearing about how it should be = to 2 or 3 months salary? Any of you guys follow certain 'rules' for how much you should pay? 

Basically, you should pay what you can afford.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads