1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

How much did you pay for your wife's/fiancee's engagement ring?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by merkur, Nov 26, 2011.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

2. jgold47

jgold47 Distinguished Member

look - in my opinion, any single stone over e 1.5 carats is getting a bit gaudy. Also, unless your fiance is one of those girls, dont get too hung up on the color/clarity. no one is going whip out a loupe to check.

. go to an independent jeweler, set a price range, and work with them. I had next to no money put aside for a ring, and honestly, I thought what I got her was smallish, but 5 years later, with all my friends who had money, and had been planning to get engaged, she still has one of the biggest rings in our group, and constantly gets complimented on it. I spent 3K for an appraised value of about 9500 if that helps. I think that had as much to do with the guy I went to as the ring i got.

AND REMEMBER, ITS ABOUT THE MARRIAGE, NOT THE WEDDING, NOT THE RING, NOT THE HONEYMOON!!!!

If any of those things comes into play and changes ANYTHING - do yourself a favor and RUN.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Hah! I bet you're a self-driver, or worse, take public transportation.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Stylish Dinosaur

100,000%

5. darknight55

darknight55 Well-Known Member

Proposal ring - $250, Wedding band - $400

Gave her a chq (which she didnt cash in) of $50k to wrap around the finger if any of her friends asked how much the ring was.

You can make money with money. You cannot make money with a solid piece of carbon.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015

6. jamiemcp

jamiemcp Senior Member

About 1/3 of a months take home salary. She designed it her self with no budget in mind, but wanted something classic and understated.

7. BossTweed

BossTweed Senior Member

d

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

8. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

Surely someone has cited this statistic. Chances of divorce increase by 38% when the cost of the wedding exceeds $5000.

9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

citation?

10. Woofa

Woofa Distinguished Member

I know that not everyone has an option like this but as my mother passed when I was younger, I was able to use a diamond from her jewelry. While I probably could have afforded to buy a slightly larger stone instead, the emotional connection was more important to us both. By having the diamond put into a new setting which my fiance (now wife) picked out, it created something shared between my wife and my mother, that she never had a chance to meet. I also had my wedding band made from gold melted from a few other pieces of my mothers jewelry. If you have access to such family heirlooms I highly suggest at least giving it some thought.

11. texas_jack

texas_jack Stylish Dinosaur

My buddy just gave his fiancé his mom's ring. Lucky for her it was about 4 carats.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

This thread reminds me a little bit of the State Farm thread.

13. white collar

white collar Senior Member

After reading this thread I realize I lucked out more than I thought. I'm currently shopping for a girl with quite small hands and honestly anything over .5ct is uncomfortable for her to wear. I can't imagine spending more than 3.5k on an engagement ring, both of us would rather that money go into a house.

14. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

be careful with that one... she's pretty clearly crazy