• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many times can an toppy (rubber sole) be added to an shoe before you really need a resole

leetpuma

Reaction score
I got an toppy last year over an pair of Wolverine 1000 mile boots when the sole was new. The toppy is still going strong. Can I just keep adding a new toppy over and over?

Do I ever want to resole?

I like the traction that the toppy gives since i walk 3+ miles in them daily.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When the topy wears through, you just have it taken off, and add a new one. You should never need to resole.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're adding them to the heel as well, yes?

Add the second heel, and layer toppies on the sole to match. It will protect your shoe even better, and you will feel taller.

leetpuma

Reaction score
When the topy wears through, you just have it taken off, and add a new one. You should never need to resole.

Thats kinda what i was thinking but some folks pointed out that sole could rot through by doing b/c of sweat and stuff over time.

I dont know how much shoe-broscience that person was saying but i was wondering if some one knew for sure.

leetpuma

Reaction score
You're adding them to the heel as well, yes?

Add the second heel, and layer toppies on the sole to match. It will protect your shoe even better, and you will feel taller.

Platform OXFORDS FTW

Because **** people

Last edited:

WorldWideWafflz

Reaction score

Thats kinda what i was thinking but some folks pointed out that sole could rot through by doing b/c of sweat and stuff over time.

I dont know how much shoe-broscience that person was saying but i was wondering if some one knew for sure.

If you keep replacing topys until you get to the point where you've destroyed an outsole from the inside, you've destroyed the shoes entirely. I.e it's time to replace the shoe not get a resole.

leetpuma

Reaction score

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time a topy is replaced the cobbler has to grind a layer of the leather sole off to provide a key for the adhesive for the new topy. I think I remember somewhere in the shoecare thread mentioning 3-4 topys and you need to resole. Depends on how good your cobbler is I suppose. Fwiw, I topied my 1k boots but they started to peel off at the front and I removed them. The sole underneath was fucked; lasted 3 months

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Every time a topy is replaced the cobbler has to grind a layer of the leather sole off to provide a key for the adhesive for the new topy. I think I remember somewhere in the shoecare thread mentioning 3-4 topys and you need to resole. Depends on how good your cobbler is I suppose. Fwiw, I topied my 1k boots but they started to peel off at the front and I removed them. The sole underneath was fucked; lasted 3 months

That's correct...

leetpuma

Reaction score

Ah this is key alright so I will eventually have to resole any way then.

Thank you !!!

Btw I sole did that with the wolverienes and i just took some barge rubber cement and glued it back. It has not moved since. *(you may want to try this next time)

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads