• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Many Pushups and Pullups did you do Today?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Every morning, I try* to do 40 pushups and 30 squats, brush my teeth, then another 40 pushups and 30 squats then hit the shower.

* this happens about once a week, the other days, I generally get to the first 40 pushups then go straight to the shower

I think I might start something similar when I wake up.

1/28

pushups: 120 (various sets)
pullups: 32 (1 set of 15, 1 set of 10, 1 set of 5, 1 set of 2)

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gators241987
everyone talks about how many they did for the whole day, lets talk about how many we do in 1 set. I'll start

Get out of bed and do 40 before i do anything
Do 80 during middle of day
do another 40 right before i hit the sheets

I'll assume these are pushups then.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
None. I love (and need) my rest days. It is sort of crazy strong, but it also doesn't seem impossible either. Climbers have a very specialized kind of strength. I know an Chinese/white girl who climbs a lot, and once saw her do 20, dead hang pullups, with just her fingertips on a door sill, while completely bombed. She was about 5'4", and probably 120 lbs. She never lifted, and she wasn't strong as in able to toss people around, but she had monster strength for anything related to climbing.
I used to be a serious climber throughout hs. I never did any weight training though I did use fingerboards and a campus board. I set problems for myself on the bouldering wall every day. The toughest one I ever set for myself took me a month to accomplish. I used to go and try it every day at lunch. It took me that long to build up the specialized strength to perform through the crux. Back then I was able to do one-arm chin-ups from a full extension fairly easily, and with none of the bracing with the other arm that you see most people do, so it's not unbelievable to me that the guy's friend can do chin-ups with 200lbs weighing him down. All the football jocks that spent tons of time in the weight room were always in awe of that sort of thing. Pull-ups from a dead hang on a door sill are cake for most good climbers. I think it's probably compulsive for a lot of climbers to do some pull-ups every time they see a door sill that looks sturdy enough. It's not just muscle strength that needs to be developed for climbing, but connective tissue as well. At high levels of difficulty you place extreme stress on tendons. It takes a long time to develop. At times you're placing a large fraction of your body weight on a single finger. I stopped climbing when I went off to university at a place that didn't have a wall or anywhere to climb. Before that I was on-sighting 5.12s and climbing some 5.13, did well in some comps, was on the local news etc. I feel that I never peaked and it's a pretty big regret that I didn't just say "**** university, let's climb for a couple years."
frown.gif

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I used to be a serious climber throughout hs. I never did any weight training though I did use fingerboards and a campus board. I set problems for myself on the bouldering wall every day. The toughest one I ever set for myself took me a month to accomplish. I used to go and try it every day at lunch. It took me that long to build up the specialized strength to perform through the crux. Back then I was able to do one-arm chin-ups from a full extension fairly easily, and with none of the bracing with the other arm that you see most people do, so it's not unbelievable to me that the guy's friend can do chin-ups with 200lbs weighing him down. All the football jocks that spent tons of time in the weight room were always in awe of that sort of thing. Pull-ups from a dead hang on a door sill are cake for most good climbers. I think it's probably compulsive for a lot of climbers to do some pull-ups every time they see a door sill that looks sturdy enough.

It's not just muscle strength that needs to be developed for climbing, but connective tissue as well. At high levels of difficulty you place extreme stress on tendons. It takes a long time to develop. At times you're placing a large fraction of your body weight on a single finger.

I stopped climbing when I went off to university at a place that didn't have a wall or anywhere to climb. Before that I was on-sighting 5.12s and climbing some 5.13, did well in some comps, was on the local news etc. I feel that I never peaked and it's a pretty big regret that I didn't just say "**** university, let's climb for a couple years."
frown.gif

Awesome. I wish I had spent more time improving at climbing and bouldering. I had the same thing happen: moved away to college and from the friends I was climbing with. We literally glued rocks to a concrete underpass below a freeway to climb lol

TGPlastic

Reaction score
Seriously: when I do pullups ******* gets hard. It's kinda awkward really. Why does this happen? No, I'm not looking at the step aerobics class while I'm hanging there.

zoorado

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
No video. But I'd guess the smaller, more compact guys can do more weight compared to others. To be fair, I've never seen him do it, but I've seen him do other things so I tend to believe him.

Other feats I have seen (by friends, not professionals): 8 one-armed chins; 1 one-armed, one fingered chin.

Yes, climbers are pretty stong mofos. The avant-garde boulderer John Gill managed 7 OACs and held a '1-arm front lever'. The scrawny looking guys who are able to conquer >5.12/v12 routes/problems make climbing look like a walk in the park. It's anything but. These people have insane pulling strength, anyone who have seen their back musculature development can attest to that.

For example, here's (late) legendary free-soloist John Bachar.

HorstBacharLadder.jpg

Looks sickly? Hardly. John Bachar, even in his thirties, was able to perform dead-hang to iron cross with straight arms for reps.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zoorado
Looks sickly? Hardly. John Bachar, even in his thirties, was able to perform dead-hang to iron cross with straight arms for reps.

I've always wanted to create a 'pull up' bar like this. With sliding grips that you extend outward until you hit iron cross land.

... Or just use rings.

Hangdog

Reaction score

Yeah but how much did he deadlift and squat lolololololol

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Every morning, I try* to do 40 pushups and 30 squats, brush my teeth, then another 40 pushups and 30 squats then hit the shower.

* this happens about once a week, the other days, I generally get to the first 40 pushups then go straight to the shower

Doing pushups/ pullups the first thing in the morning is looking for trouble, unless one does a good amount of warming up. Going to sprain some muscle...most likely, neck or shoulder

zoorado

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
Doing pushups/ pullups the first thing in the morning is looking for trouble, unless one does a good amount of warming up. Going to sprain some muscle...most likely, neck or shoulder

I used to do 3-4 sets of 30 pullups every morning before breakfast when I was still in high school (with 10-15 deadhangs as warmup). It didn't hurt me. Pullups and pushups are some of the safest exercises when it comes to building upper body strength. If one doesn't kip during pullups, it's hard to get injured.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit

Really? I hurt myself at various sports and in many ways in my life but I never had anything more than sore muscles by doing simple body weight pushups or squats... Pullups maybe? but pushups are really the safest exercise I can think of.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dp

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to do 3-4 sets of 30 pullups every morning before breakfast when I was still in high school (with 10-15 deadhangs as warmup). It didn't hurt me. Pullups and pushups are some of the safest exercises when it comes to building upper body strength. If one doesn't kip during pullups, it's hard to get injured.

30 per set. Man, I don't think that I could ever get to that. I could do 20 when I was 15 lbs lighter and the same strength. But 30 seems insane. Are you a gymnast or something? I have a gymnast friend who can do insane things, like "pullups" from human flag position. I tried to human flag once, and I think that I nearly broke my spine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads