• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many pull-ups/push-ups did you do today?

ThatGuy

Reaction score
My lovely, and chronic, neck injury is back again with a vengeance. Sick of not working out for a month, I went to the workout station at my condo and was very suprised to knock out 34 pull-ups (12X, 12X and 10X). Haven't done a single push up as it puts on a strain on your neck muscles to stablize your head.

Pull-ups = strength that doen't go away.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's going to be 28 push ups every 20 minutes today (oh no).

Last edited:

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
I don't seem to be adding muscle mass by doing pull-ups every other day. I think a large portion of the problem is I'm not actually straining my muscles that much. Should I do two days on-one day off to increase the incentive of my muscles to repair and enlarge?

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Do you already have decent muscle mass?

I find body weight stuff add to muscle density in the arms rather than size. For the back, it adds thickness and width. I used to do a lot of pull-ups and work on the monkey bars. My back is really wide at the top and thick too. I don't dead lift, nor do I row often. I attribute this to pull-ups/ chin-ups and all its varieties.

Arms respond best to hammer curls where you can really load up the weights.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yesterday I did pullups (rested 1:30 between each set):
1 set of 10 - bodyweight (warmup)
1 set of 5 - bw + 20 lbs (warmup)
1 set of 5 - bw + 35 lbs (warmup)
1 set of 5 - bw + 55 lbs (warmup)
1 set of 7 - bw + 60 lbs
1 set of 5 - bw + 65 lbs
1 set of 3 - bw + 70 lbs
1 set of 5 - bw + 60

Nice.

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Did 6 sets of 5 pull-ups and 3 sets of 20 knuckle-ups.

Only strength training for the week, figured a week of rest would do me good... thinking that I'd come back energized. Turns out it didn't. :(

Last edited:

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Did 20 sets of:

2 pull-ups
4 knuckle-ups
6 bw squats

in 20 minutes. Guess that break last week really helped out. Felt like I had heaps of energy today.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Push ups and chinups are part of a fitness test my PT goes through with his clients every once in a while, did that today. 95 pushups and 63 pullups (3 sets, 30 seconds rest in between). Bunch of other stuff in between the two of them though. And did 50 pushups after I woke up this morning so 145 to now, probably go for 55 before I hit the hay for an even 200.

aguydude

Reaction score

Push ups and chinups are part of a fitness test my PT goes through with his clients every once in a while, did that today. 95 pushups and 63 pullups (3 sets, 30 seconds rest in between). Bunch of other stuff in between the two of them though. And did 50 pushups after I woke up this morning so 145 to now, probably go for 55 before I hit the hay for an even 200.

you did 63 pullups in three consecutive sets? Impressive.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Something like 30-20-13. I do about 50 of them every day so that helps, same with dips, did I think 57 of those after as part of the same test.

EDIT: Actually I just realized I said pullups when I meant chinups. So no, I didn't.

Last edited:

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe I posted this elsewhere, but it deserves another look

Last edited:

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How hard are clapping pushups? I can do a lot of regular pushups (typically do 10x10) but never tried clapping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads