• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy 4 mile road run with temps in the mid 80s, followed by a 3.6 mile mixed terrain ride pulling the kids in the trailer. Just in time to see the afternoon storms coming in over the mountains...

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m aligned with @FlyingMonkey in overall principle, which is the most important. The nuance is in the nomenclature as I tend to follow more of the JD definition that @Fueco mentioned.

Ex:

Easy - Conversational pace. Something you could hold for a long period of time dependent on your current aerobic fitness. I like to think of it as intentionally throttling 20% back from your natural pace that day.

Steady - Mostly conversational but with some interrupted flow in your sentences. Marathon effort. Natural pace of the day. Something you can lock into and feel fine until the later miles.

Tempo - Comfortably hard. A 7/10 on your personal effort scale. Something you could sustain for 45-60 minutes in a race situation. In other words, you should be able to say “Yeah, so this pretty much ******* stings.” coherently.

Threshold - Hard. A 9/10 on your personal effort scale. Something you could sustain for 30-45 minutes in a race setting. You’re only able to get a few broken words off, but you still have complete control of the pa

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m aligned with @FlyingMonkey in overall principle, which is the most important. The nuance is in the nomenclature as I tend to follow more of the JD definition that @Fueco mentioned.

Yeah, I've changed what I call things over the years anyway as the result of reading different things and talking to different coaches. Definitions are endless. But whatever you call any type of run, the point is that you are consistent, you understand the purpose of the run you are doing and you do it right.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Completely agree. You can really split the atom over terms, which might be very significant if you’re at the top end of your genetic potential...but for my layman ass, I’m in the sandbox of basic blocking and tackling. 1 workout, 1 long run, and the rest of the miles easy, per week. But even that hinges on what you personally respond to, your current fitness, and what keeps you healthy.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, my easy pace is conversational, in the rare instance that I run with someone else. My run today was going to be threshold, but I backed off because of it being my first run of the season with temps well into the 80s (combined with the several hours of yard work beforehand, this made it feel tough).

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10.2 miles yesterday and 10 miles flat this morning. After a week of a.m. temps in the 60s with high humidity we had temps in the low 40s this morning with absolutely no humidity. Quite a nice change of pace. It looks like we'll have one more day of this weather tomorrow morning then back to the sweaty slog! Though I do sort of like those mornings when I can see the steam rising off of the lakes on my morning run...

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, last run of the month this morning, a slightly shorter long run (still tapering) on my favourite 21.6km to the American ferry and back. I don't usually do a long run the day after anything else, let alone a tough series of sprint intervals like yesterday's, and my legs were feeling a bit fragile. Anyway, I wasn't trying to go fast. It was substantially colder today too, which was nice. I got to the ferry in 1:03:18, slightly ahead of my 6:00/km target, and decided that I would at least try to keep this up and run a negative split, even though the return leg is mostly uphill and today was into the light wind. And that's how it went. I finished in 2:05:09, for an average pace of 5:48/km.

Overall May Report:

Total distance: 254.65km (158 1/4 miles)
# runs: 16
Average distance: 12.7km (just under 8 miles)
Average pace: 5:22/km

Long Runs: 5
Total Distance: 149.4km
Average Distance: 29.9km
Longest run: 35.7km (22 1/4 miles) in 3:36:49
Average Pace: 5:52/km

Steady Runs: 3
Total Distance: 40.15
Average Distance: 13.18km
Average Pace: 5:00/km

Tempo Runs: 3
Total Distance: 29.8km
Average Pace: 4:20/km

Speed sessions: 4
Total Distance (not incl. intervals): 20.8km
Average Pace: 3:40/km
Fastest session: 6 x 800m at average 3:34/km

"Races": 1
Distance: 8km (5 miles) time trial
Time: 31:51
Pace: 3:59/km

Missed runs: 1

Injuries: none.

Happiness level: high!

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like @FlyingMonkey , tried to end the month on a good running note.

Weather was decent, clocking in at 65 degrees with a little over 60% humidity.

I ran 12 miles. The first 3.5 miles was at a 9:05/mile pace with my 6 year old son by my side riding his bike. I was trying to stay at his pace. Dropped him off at home and stepped up the pace, clocking the next 8.5 miles at ~7:13/mile or so. Overall pace for the 12 miles was 7:45.

Also, this was my first run in the new Saucony Kinvara 11s I picked up. Shoes felt good. Light, but still enough cushion for a longer run. Probably not quite the same bounce I get out of the Triumph 17s, but the shoe being lighter helps with quicker turnover. Overall a good neutral trainer. I also included a shot of the sole to show wear. Not sure what it is about my strike, but I don’t tend to get anywhere near the mileage out of shoes as is suggested. I probably get 65% of the rated mileage. So on a 400 mile shoe I get ~250. I do supinate, so the outer forefoot edges do tend to take the brunt of my foottrikes.

79CE7519-66C7-4ACD-BE1F-C5F1571FA8C2.jpeg

F8801ABE-8DA0-42C6-8F02-ED9433303CE3.jpeg

Total miles this month was 102. Pretty low key. But I did take 13 total days off during the month. 64 of those miles came in the last 10 days over the course of 8 runs.

Also, anyone else get a bit of a headache after a longer run? Seems to happen to me pretty regularly after my longer runs.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like @FlyingMonkey , tried to end the month on a good running note.

Weather was decent, clocking in at 65 degrees with a little over 60% humidity.

I ran 12 miles. The first 3.5 miles was at a 9:05/mile pace with my 6 year old son by my side riding his bike. I was trying to stay at his pace. Dropped him off at home and stepped up the pace, clocking the next 8.5 miles at ~7:13/mile or so. Overall pace for the 12 miles was 7:45.

Also, this was my first run in the new Saucony Kinvara 11s I picked up. Shoes felt good. Light, but still enough cushion for a longer run. Probably not quite the same bounce I get out of the Triumph 17s, but the shoe being lighter helps with quicker turnover. Overall a good neutral trainer. I also included a shot of the sole to show wear. Not sure what it is about my strike, but I don’t tend to get anywhere near the mileage out of shoes as is suggested. I probably get 65% of the rated mileage. So on a 400 mile shoe I get ~250. I do supinate, so the outer forefoot edges do tend to take the brunt of my foottrikes.

View attachment 1398439
View attachment 1398438

Total miles this month was 102. Pretty low key. But I did take 13 total days off during the month. 64 of those miles came in the last 10 days over the course of 8 runs.

Also, anyone else get a bit of a headache after a longer run? Seems to happen to me pretty regularly after my longer runs.

I really like my 11s.

I find I can get headaches if I don’t rehydrate enough after my run.

Last edited:

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reached my self-imposed weekly running limit (38 miles, 5:20 hours) yesterday so today was just active recovery. 3+ miles with the pup and another couple landscaping.

394ED853-6F7D-4D52-BF49-66CFD4BB1DD6.jpeg

I’m surprised by the lack of fatigue from yesterday. Usually after 15 miles I feel a little muscle soreness or stiffness over the next 36 hours...but nothing. Took out the new Saucony Endorphin Pro for that run so perhaps the shoes helped?

I like those all white Kinvara’s! Funny that I have the all Black 10’s. They’re now my dog walking / lawn shoes.

4DE49AD7-F466-4F30-B746-5B5EAC9D45D8.jpeg

140 total miles in May. Aiming for 160-175 in June.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love that dog @Dusty Heaters . What breed?

I haven’t put any miles on my Endorphin Pros yet. What was your impression? Say compared to your Next %?

And those all black Kinvaras look pretty damn good for being lawn shoes haha.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! She’s a Bernese Mountain Dog and will likely fill out to around 100lbs. Great time to rear a pup if there was such a thing.

To be fair, I put about 180 running miles into the K10’s before I noticed some of the midsole foam packing in. Once I start feeling shoes lose their life, I donate them...but Saucony’s lasts tend to fit me well and the all black is pretty inconspicuous so they became lawn shoes.

The first miles in the Endorphin Pro were great. The upper is very lightweight, breathable, and comfortable. That jacquard mesh really allows the feet to breathe without compromising lockdown and there’s just enough rigidity in the heel counter to prevent slipping. The ribbon laces aren’t my favorite...You really have to pull them tight/tuck-in to keep them from coming untied. The midsole foam is firmer than the Vaporfly, but not quite as firm as Hoka’s Carbon X. It gives just a little squish, but a lot of response for a higher stack distance racer. I really liked the synergy of the midsole & plate, it felt like it was working to dampen impact shockwaves while springing me foreword. The outsole ‘speed roll’ geometry felt fantastic. Very similar to the ASICS Glideride which encourages a quick turnover and forefoot strike. Like you’re standing on the edge of a step and once you push a little more weight on the toes it pops your heel up. It was easy for me to get rolling into a rhythm and accelerate. The shoe came alive when I had to time a narrow pass and picked up the pace briefly. It felt great to open the stride and holding the pace didn’t feel like conscious effort. So far so good. I’m looking forward to running some tempo miles in these later on. Hope you have similar positive experiences.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads