• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10.6 miles yesterday.

What does that kind of test cost?  I know triathletes go through all sorts of hoops to save a couple seconds or minutes though it seems these efforts would be good for people who want to race near their limits the entire race.  

$225 for test, results on paper w/ interpretations, and doctor consultation after.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
4 yesterday evening. Did 5k in 24'02"; If I'd known, I was that close to going under 24, I would have sped up a little bit!

descartes

Reaction score

Thought you might appreciate my PureConnect family portrait. I really love these shoes!

http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/1005013/width/600/height/600[/IMG
[/QUOTE]

I have a similar collection. I read the reviews on the 2.0 and several people are not happy with the redesign. Stocked up in two more pairs of the original.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
9.4. Went out for 12, but started to feel strain in the groin area, so I stopped. Now that I'm only two weeks away, I guess I'm getting paranoid about getting injured. :embar:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished my first half marathon yesterday. I was having a great run and making good time, but then right around mile 12.5, I got a bad leg cramp and had to stop and stretch and then I walked for about 2 tenths of a mile, so that ruined my time. I still finished under my original goal and my final time was 2:06, but I would have been cutting it really close to breaking 2 hours if I didn't get that cramp right at the end.

I think all the hills probably contributed to the injury - it was an extremely hilly course with lots of very steep hills, which I wasn't used to, so my legs were working overtime to get through those sections. I'm still glad I was able to run across the finish line, but I have a new goal for my next half. The next one I'm signed up for is much flatter, so I definitely think I can do that in under 2:00.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SB - Some days pains just come along and we have to take it easy. Any ideas of what caused it?

Beatle - I had the same issue when going from flat land to hills while on a weekend trip a couple of years back. Caused all sorts of issues but now I am used to hills.

As for me I got in some good weekend runs. I put in a 6 mile effort yesterday which felt good. Going to be a busy week so trying to figure out how much running I can put in. My training schedule really doesn't have me starting until December for a March race.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been feeling a bit of soreness off and on for at least a week, but this felt like something more. It's probably just overuse. I'm feeling it in my upper, inner thigh, groin, and lower abdomen/pelvis on the right side. I don't have any other experience by which to judge, but based on how I've felt at the end of my high-mileage weekends and the reactions of folks here (and real-world friends), I'm thinking that my program may be overly stressful and leave me susceptible to injury. It feels like the long-ish fast runs on Saturday followed up by long runs on Sunday tire out all of the small muscles which affect my form/mechanics. I know thousands of people have used Higdon successfully, but it may not be the right thing for me. If I do this again, I'll look into other approaches.

Congratulations, Beatlegeuse! Sorry that it didn't go as planned, but you'll certainly do better next time.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kicked off my training week with 5.3 miles in the hills.

Plan for the week is to up the running days to 4, and increase the long run to 14 miles. It's getting fun!

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous morning. Clear sky with the constellations visible. 32 degrees, but comfortable. Nice 5 mile run. Then, one mile from home, I tripped on a piece of jagged sidewalk, fell, gashed my knee cap, hit my head on the sidewalk, and got a cut near my eye. Sheesh! #battlescars :embar:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CP - Ouch! I have not taken a tumble in a which but had hit my toe pretty hard quite a few times.

I got in 4.5 miles last night which felt good. What does everyone use to keep themselves visible in the dark? I have some reflective items but do not know if they really help drivers that much.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to read about the fall CP. I've been pretty lucky in my predawn runs. FWIW, I usually avoid the sidewalk and run in the street (when it's a safe option) for that very reason.

I put in 9.8 miles this morning.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ouch, CP. I actually winced reading your description.

4 miles.

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6.3 miles with some short speed work tonite.

What does everyone use to keep themselves visible in the dark?  I have some reflective items but do not know if they really help drivers that much.

Knuckle lights work well for street running. Not bright enough for technical trails. The Princeton Tech Remix is a cheap, light, & very bright headlamp that can be used on trails or street too. If the neighborhood or roads are bright enough, a general road reflection vest is light and works well.

CP- Tough spill. Hope your up and around quickly. I stay off the sidewalks and on the street due that reason, kids toys, and dogs that believe that the sidewalk is part of their yard.

Onetwobit

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just wanted to quickly introduce myself. I've skimmed this thread for a while now and everyone seems quite knowledgeable, hopefully I can get a jump start!

I should start by saying that I've never been a "runner". I wouldn't even say that I'm in half decent shape, although I'm fairly small at 5'10 150lbs (23 years old) so I've got that going for me.

I have started running in the mornings before work. My standard track right now is between 1.2 - 1.5 miles, after which I'm sucking wind pretty good. I live in Miami, FL and at about the .75 mile mark I'm drenched (it's still 80 and relatively humid @ 6am) and start getting that drained feeling.

But that's OK! I don't have unrealistic expectations. Stepping stones. Progress. I have a couple of things that bother me:

• What gadget do you guys use to track distance, stats, etc. I find it very irritating not knowing where I'm at.
  • Shoes. Currently using fairly standard Asics athletic shoes. An upgrade to true runners is probably important.
  • Do you guys run the same track for your daily routine? Do you run the same way back as on the way out?

Thanks for any responses. I will be updating my progress weekly if not daily.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads