• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
Ran the SoCal half-marathon this morning in 1:43:11 - my best half yet. Weather was perfect, but the course was tediously boring.

Great job.. congratulations!!!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2.25. trying to add 0.25 miles every time I run, 2-3 times a week. trying to get up to 10Km.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
quevola nice job man...when I was at my peak I did a half in 1:31...before I was at the gym a few days a week. I know most swear it makes you a better runner, and I guess it may have if I continued to run the same, but to me gym days took the place of a run, so what I gained in strength I lost in stamina.

Anyway, gonna go out when the wife gets home (hopefully before dark) for a brisk one in the NYC chill. Now I'm watching my oldest (19 months).

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
4.5 today...was freezing, but at least the sun hadn't set...
IMG_0872.jpg
IMG_0873.jpg

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, question for y'all: Since I was a little kid, I was always bad at running. I've been doing some cardio at the gym/playing frisbee/generally staying active and I'm getting better, but really want to step up my cardio game, to speak. My question is: are there any routines that I can sort of use "out of the box" (like SS, or 5/3/1 for weightlifting) that help running stamina/fitness/speed?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
So, question for y'all: Since I was a little kid, I was always bad at running. I've been doing some cardio at the gym/playing frisbee/generally staying active and I'm getting better, but really want to step up my cardio game, to speak. My question is: are there any routines that I can sort of use "out of the box" (like SS, or 5/3/1 for weightlifting) that help running stamina/fitness/speed?

Run. Run faster. Run longer.

There are regimens, but they're kinda pointless in my opinion and do little more than create adherence to a program. Weightlifting requires a technical competancy that isn't a necessity to start running.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^^ What he said. Running outside has kept me illness-free this winter as well.

My younger brother stayed with me for a couple of weeks at Christmas. While I ran outside in 20 to 25 degree weather, he went to the gym everyday, picked up a cold there, and passed it on to me..
ffffuuuu.gif

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Run. Run faster. Run longer.

Agreed. Also mix in fartleks. I know of few things that are better for developing running endurance.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yesterday - ran but didn't post: 12 miles in 1:35:41. Ran out the ipod battery (which is now good for 55 minutes of music and no more), wore out a pair of shoes (realized this at mile 10, when my legs left like lead), and did my last long run before this weekend's half. From now to Sunday it's light mileage, pick-ups, and maybe some plyometrics that a runner friend with the same PR recommended.

mylesmyles

Reaction score
ran 5 miles in 30:36 on Satuday at the NYRR race. Conditions were cold but quick.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty

I've always been a bad runner. one thing that is pretty good about running is that you just sort of run along, and if you aren't that fast, people usually don't notice or pay attention to it. it isn't like in the gym where you might feel people looking at how much you lift.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads