• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how many flights this past year

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yesterday I flew with my whole family for the first time. flying with one kid and two adults is a piece of cake. 3 kids, 2 of which are babies and one is a five year old is very different.

we flew chicago miami, then to cartegena. on top of everything, we had two screw ups - a gate agent took the wrong coupon from my wife's ticket - which has only happened to me one time before in my life, and the airline lost our luggage. fourtunatly, I always figure that the airline will lose me luggage, so we had enough stuff for two day in the carry one, as well as all the stuff I need for work (I'm actually coming down for a week of work and another week of vacation) in carry on. and the issue with the coupon is relativly minor - usually the worst thing that can happen is they charge you a small fee to reprint the coupon, in this case they didn't, I just had to go across the miami airpost and get a new coupon.

traveling with the twins was something - a small army carries less stuff than 5 month old twins. plus, a 5 year old needs about 50 pounds of stuff to keep occupied for 6 hours in the air. so it takes one adult to carry the twins down the aisle of the plane (my wife) one to carry my stuff, one to carry my kids stuff and one to herd my son who is very intrested in what is going on and can stop to look at every lever, sign and switch in the airport as well as stop to state and talk with every adult he sees who looks like he might be willing to talk to a kid.

effectivly, that means leaving a pile of stuff outside the plan (or, in the opostite direction, by our seats) and then going down the aisle 3 times, coming back twice against traffic.

on top of that, kids seem to need a lot of creams, gels and liquids, which the homeland security people don't like very much. getting the whole group through security was an adventure, as well. of course, the miami airport makes you go out of security and go back, when you change airplanes, so, it meant twice through security instead of once.

anyway - all in all just an exhausting and frustrating day.

on the flip side, I am in a great place, warm, one of the most beutiful cities in the world, and my family is very happy to be here. my son has been very excited to come here since we told him.

I have a sales training course for my latin american distributors this week, so it is basically lecruring all day, partying all night for the first week, then, I will spend next week hanging by the beach or the pool, enjoying cuban cigars, fresh fruit, and rum, in 85 degree sunshine.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh, sorry about that Globetrotter. I assume you flew American from Miami?

These kinds of screw-ups are life in the industry. Thank you for being a good traveler and realizing that they do.

one to herd my son who is very intrested in what is going on and can stop to look at every lever, sign and switch in the airport as well as stop to state and talk with every adult he sees who looks like he might be willing to talk to a kid.
Teach them early, mate
smile.gif
Look for me if you're ever at Dulles, I'll bend the rules a bit and get him out around the outside of the jet. Little kids love that stuff.

JB

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Ugh, sorry about that Globetrotter. I assume you flew American from Miami?

These kinds of screw-ups are life in the industry. Thank you for being a good traveler and realizing that they do.

Teach them early, mate
smile.gif
Look for me if you're ever at Dulles, I'll bend the rules a bit and get him out around the outside of the jet. Little kids love that stuff.

JB

AA to miami, Avianca miami cartegena

thanks, I may take you up on that.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check with my supervisor to see if he'll even permit that, he shouldn't have a problem but we had an incident not too long ago. I'll get back to you. Fortunately my supervisor likes bending the rules too
tounge.gif

JB

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this week - ohare frankfurt, arrived 6 am, shower and 3 hours work in the lounge, then flight to istambul, arrive 13:00 - two meetings and a business dinner, fly to cairo at midnight, get in 3 am. fantastic hotel suits in old hotel - 3 story suite with nile view, old hotel, but used to be the best in town when it was built. up at 8 for meeting, then to airport, fly to sharm el sheikh for meeting, got in about half an hour of snorkeling, and a water pipe, will have a meeting from 10 pm till midnight tonight, then 7 am fly back to cairo for a series of meetings, then fly at 7 pm to Dubai.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fortunately only vacation for me, but it went something like

NYC-Nice
Rome-NYC
NYC-Eagle (R/T)
NYC-Las Vegas (R/T)
NYC-Bahamas

fortune

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
this week - ohare frankfurt, arrived 6 am, shower and 3 hours work in the lounge, then flight to istambul, arrive 13:00 - two meetings and a business dinner, fly to cairo at midnight, get in 3 am. fantastic hotel suits in old hotel - 3 story suite with nile view, old hotel, but used to be the best in town when it was built. up at 8 for meeting, then to airport, fly to sharm el sheikh for meeting, got in about half an hour of snorkeling, and a water pipe, will have a meeting from 10 pm till midnight tonight, then 7 am fly back to cairo for a series of meetings, then fly at 7 pm to Dubai.

you've got one of the busiest lives, or schedules, i've ever seen. props to you man, props to you. i don't think i could keep up with that, ever.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trotter, I want your job.

I've added 4 more legs to London (2 on British, 1 on Virgin, and 1 on United) and one more to NYC (on Delta Connection, ugh).

JB

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just flew to the Dominican Republic and back last week on Continental. It was a good experience.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
You fly too cushy...
Originally Posted by odoreater
I just flew to the Dominican Republic and back last week on Continental. It was a good experience.

Where did you go? I really, really love that country.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater

That's a great place for a vacation. Where were you?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You fly too cushy...
Tiger, have you ever flown on a military charter from Frankfurt-Hahn or Ramstein back to the USA (Baltimore specifically)? I usually see the daily soldier flights coming in from Germany over my house in Annapolis.

I think the carriers are World, Omni Air International, and North American. Not sure if ATA does them anymore.

JB

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Other way 'round. I flew a military charter on Omni from BMI to FRA (Rhein Main, actually). It was the return leg from a Rhein Main - Charleston C17 flight, without seats bolted in. Jump benches only, but all the kids on the flight had room to run around to their hearts content. It was actually better than a normal flight with kids. Rhein Main hasn't existed for a year or two now.

The first time I flew to Baghdad, the Rammstein - Larnaca - Kuwait City leg was on ATA. I was shocked as hell when they turned up as a real airline.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads