• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many days/weeks to complete bespoke suit in Naples?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I understand the desire to save money, but it shouldn't be surprising that a 2,000 euro tailor in Naples doesn't have the infrastucture to deliver as efficiently as the typical Savile Row tailor who charges more than twice as much and whose customer base is largely overseas.

Bespoke isn't like RTW, where you go to a store, pick out the model you want, pay, and then, maybe, see the alterations tailor for nip and tuck here and there. Rather, the whole experience rests on the premise that you will maintain an ongoing relationship with your tailor. You're buying service and expertise as much as you are a product. If you aren't willing to play the long game and invest in the relationship, bespoke is unlikely to satisfy you. In fact, you stand a serious chance of being very, very disappointed, and feeling like you were ripped off.

So, please, don't go to Naples, or anywhere else, thinking you are going to dig up some bespoke bargain nobody but you was smart enough to stumble upon. Rubinacci costs a lot more than the rest in Naples, but they can actually be your tailor and not just sell you a suit (which may or may not show up in your mailbox 18-20 months later, packed into a stapled paper bag).

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Svenn;3637013 Two weeks is about the maximum I could be in Europe.[/QUOTE said:
Day 1 jet lagged likely a right off. If you're lucky spend the day traveling.

Day 14 leaving the country.

Two days lost to Sundays. So if you're lucky and no holidays or other closing days you're asking for a suit in 10 days.

Now lets assume the shop is half decent. It has other customers. Ranging from regulars to some guy getting married. Do you expect they'll put all those people on hold to do your suit?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ They don't need to complete the suit during his visit, just finish all the fittings. This is obviously perfectly doable at even the best tailors in Italy--so long as you schedule in advance. However, nothing will change the fact that future orders will be far more difficult and he can forget about refining his pattern.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I understand the desire to save money, but it shouldn't be surprising that a 2,000 euro tailor in Naples doesn't have the infrastucture to deliver as efficiently as the typical Savile Row tailor who charges more than twice as much and whose customer base is largely overseas.

Bespoke isn't like RTW, where you go to a store, pick out the model you want, pay, and then, maybe, see the alterations tailor for nip and tuck here and there. Rather, the whole experience rests on the premise that you will maintain an ongoing relationship with your tailor. You're buying service and expertise as much as you are a product. If you aren't willing to play the long game and invest in the relationship, bespoke is unlikely to satisfy you. In fact, you stand a serious chance of being very, very disappointed, and feeling like you were ripped off.

So, please, don't go to Naples, or anywhere else, thinking you are going to dig up some bespoke bargain nobody but you was smart enough to stumble upon. Rubinacci costs a lot more than the rest in Naples, but they can actually be your tailor and not just sell you a suit (which may or may not show up in your mailbox 18-20 months later, packed into a stapled paper bag).

I didn't say I was adverse to a long-term relationship, nor that I was smarter than everyone
wink.gif
...I merely thought it would be convenient if I could get a whole suit completed on one trip, especially since threads on the london lounge imply Neapolitan suits fitted in Naples turn out much better than those done through satellite shops (not sure if that's true or not). If two weeks isn't enough time than so be it... though perhaps I could get measured in the US then finish it off in Naples?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
^^^ They don't need to complete the suit during his visit, just finish all the fittings. This is obviously perfectly doable at even the best tailors in Italy--so long as you schedule in advance. However, nothing will change the fact that future orders will be far more difficult and he can forget about refining his pattern.

That's true, I don't care if they ship it to me after I've returned. I don't forsee myself getting many suits through my life, but I wouldn't mind returning later to Italy to get a second or third from the same tailor.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
I didn't say I was adverse to a long-term relationship, nor that I was smarter than everyone
wink.gif
...I merely thought it would be convenient if I could get a whole suit completed on one trip, especially since threads on the london lounge imply Neapolitan suits fitted in Naples turn out much better than those done through satellite shops (not sure if that's true or not). If two weeks isn't enough time than so be it... though perhaps I could get measured in the US then finish it off in Naples?

The issue is that there are exceedingly few tailors from Naples with whom it is plausible to maintain a trans-Atlantic relationship. Solito made a go at it, but has gone AWOL. From what I understand, Mina uses different tailors at different times, which I'd personally find very frightening as a client paying down large sums of money. Ambrosi only does trousers. Who's left? Rubinacci--but they cost a ton more.

Anyway, like I said above: don't plan on having your order complete before you leave. The best you can do is arrange time for a first meeting and two follow-up fittings. If your tailor is diligent and trustworthy, you'll get your suit in the mail a few weeks later.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The question you need to ask is how many hours/days can you spend in Naples before something bad or unpleasant happens.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
The question you need to ask is how many hours/days can you spend in Naples before something bad or unpleasant happens.

There are enough restaurants and tailors in Naples to ensure that you will always be safely eating a delicious meal or safely getting fitted for clothes.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980

Can we extrapolate from StyleForvm itself? If so, thirty minutes tops.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads