• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How gay are espadrille shoes?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
You could even be both!!!!!!!!!!!
French speaker and gay!
lol8[1].gif

And exuberant....

French speaker and gay? Bit of a given, you'd think.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Espadrilles, when chosen wisely and used in the right ensemble, can be very elegant. Some minds misconstrue elegance as effeminate. These are the minds that I try to stay clear of.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where this obsession is coming from,especially from a country who exported campness around the world with San Francisco "go west" culture : and the infamous Village people?
Liberrace would never have been famous in Europe ,that's for sure...
bounce2.gif

I do live in England and i work in the transport industry...
We have a lot of gays and lesbians with us and to be honest ,we do not really care....

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where this obsession is coming from,especially from a country who exported campness around the world with San Francisco "go west" culture : and the infamous Village people?
bounce2.gif

We have a lot of gays and lesbians with us and to be honest ,we do not really care....

Watch your mouth foreigner, Liberace and the Village People were NOT gay.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bounce2.gif

Liberace was huge in England in the 50s, due to the popularity of his syndicated television show.

He played the London Palladium.

Some of the press was unfriendly, however:

http://almax.wordpress.com/tag/celebrities/liberace/

In response, and to preserve his career, he sued the Daily Mirror for the libel of insinuating his homosexuality.

He won, but judging by the space he devotes to it in his memoir published decades later, it haunted him.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph

Is going Bespoke/Custom a sign of the ultimate gay thing to do?
It's only for the very anal about fit lol

Dang. Guess I'm gay now.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Espadrilles, when chosen wisely and used in the right ensemble, can be very elegant. Some minds misconstrue elegance as effeminate. These are the minds that I try to stay clear of.

rolleyes.gif

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought my last pair in Alicante, Spain 10 years ago and hadn't really seen them since. I feel about them the same way I feel about flip flops -- for all intents and purposes they're beachwear. Not gay.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by life_interrupts
for all intents and purposes they're beachwear. Not gay.
+1

To me, they're a bit more elegant than flip-flops (which I loathe with all my heart) but still beachwear. Absolutely not gay at all (obviously unless you wear the womens version as pictured in this thread) but definitely retro

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso

Alright man, let's see it. Show me one picture of an ensemble in whcih espadrilles don't look ******.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Alright man, let's see it. Show me one picture of an ensemble in whcih espadrilles don't look ******.

They look better than flip flops with any beach outfit. You wear them like flip flops or slippers, stepping on the back portion

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Espadrilles and flip flop are ok in the right circumstances like everything else.....
We have to use some common sense...
If you turn up in the heat with a 3 piece bespoke suit and a pair of bespoke oxfords ,you will look like an overdressed idiot and your high quality combi will be inapropriate without making any quality statement about them....
We are not talking wearing espadrilles in the boardroom or at the office....
Espadrilles are not gay and gays do not like them much anyway....

tgod93

Reaction score

thank you... it all depends on HOW people wear their clothing. way better than fuckin flip flops imo

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics